Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How good is good enough? >

How good is good enough?

How good is good enough?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Hello all,

I'm a new quilter and just started my first and second quilt.

I'm trying to make 6 1/2" blocks for a rail fence quilt with 3 stripes. My first attempt in class gave me 6 1/4" blocks. My second attempt is giving me blocks between 6 3/8" and 6 1/2".

I guess my question to you quilters is... will my quilt look off if some blocks are 1/8" bigger or smaller than others? I haven't put the quilt blocks together yet but I will on Thursday when I have my next class.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Power Poster

Chances are they will look fine. That isn't a huge difference in block size to have to deal with. You may have to ease some of the larger blocks so they fit to the smaller ones. Worst case, you may end up trimming some of the largest blocks so they fit better with the smaller ones.

A good thing about the rail fence is that it is a very forgiving pattern. This would be a bigger problem with other types of patterns.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Power Poster

I think it is Eleanor Burns who gives a 1/8" fudge factor.

If the block is BIGGER, then it is easy (and important) to square it to the correct size.

If the block is too small, I would check two things: seam allowance and pressing.

Often, a block that is too small can be blocked. That means spray starch the block and tug it to the correct size. Pin it in place and press. When the block is completely dry, it will retain its shape.

And yes, you can fudge in your seam allowance when you put the blocks together. Just have fun with it. Give yourself permission to not be "perfect" and promise yourself to be more accurate with the next one.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

remember if your blocks are 1/8" off, in 8 blocks that equals 1" off...which can really make a difference, you would be better off after making all the blocks trimming them to the measurement of the smallest one and making them all equal...better yet...
find your 1/4"!!!
cut two 3" squares, sew them together along one side, and press seam allowance to one side, measure, it should measure 5 1/2" if not adjust and try again, once you find your 1/4" mark it on the sewing machine (some people use masking tape, there's lots of 'stuff' on the market)
once you are sewing a consistant 1/4" your blocks will fit together easier.
good luck.
the trimming them all to match works, but sometimes you loose points doing it that way it's better to work on being more consistant.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 AM

I love my 1/4" foot with the guide :)
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
ditto
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I would trim them all to the smallest one and work on making a 1/4" seam consistently.Just keep trying and you will get better, just takes time. Better to do it now than later. Good luck !!!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I think it is Eleanor Burns who gives a 1/8" fudge factor.

If the block is BIGGER, then it is easy (and important) to square it to the correct size.

If the block is too small, I would check two things: seam allowance and pressing.

Often, a block that is too small can be blocked. That means spray starch the block and tug it to the correct size. Pin it in place and press. When the block is completely dry, it will retain its shape.

And yes, you can fudge in your seam allowance when you put the blocks together. Just have fun with it. Give yourself permission to not be "perfect" and promise yourself to be more accurate with the next one.
oh so true
Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
ditto
Where can one find something like that? At an LQS or a sewing machine repair shop or something- or can I look at JoAnne?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm sorry mine came with my kenmore.