Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to handle small diagonal triangles? >
  • How to handle small diagonal triangles?

• How to handle small diagonal triangles?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

The only triangles are the setting triangles, and they are not small, IMHO. Geri did a very nice job of explaining how to cut the triangles. The concept is that you should have the straight grain of the fabric along the outside edges of the quilt, with the bias edges all sewn safely into place so they don't stretch. Look on the board under Articles or on the net for how to set a quilt on point to get an explanation of the process. You are correct; the Best Press or starch is aplied to the fabric before cutting.

LOL, can you tell that I am the kind if person who has to know not just HOW to do something, but WHY it works as it does? If my math book didn't have the proof for a theorem, I would not believe it until I did the proof myself.

Last edited by Krisb; 04-08-2015 at 07:56 AM.
    Old 04-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Here's a pic of the pattern:

It's very pretty. You absolutely can do your 9 patch units using strip method piecing. It's much quicker too! Once you have your blocks sewn, sew your rows together on the diagonal including your corners. By that I mean cut the size you need for the corner as a square then trim after the top is all assembled, avoiding the whole bias/stretch issue. Hope that makes sense!
    Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks for posting a picture of the quilt. It appears to me that I will have fewer seams using the strip piecing method. I am always hesitant deviating from the instructions, but it seemed to me that the strip piecing method would be better. Before I deviate, I have to have the whole process in my mind/on paper so that I don't encounter surprises. Many of you have helped me do this. When I lived in England for a short while, there was a traffic sign that read, Don't enter the intersection unless your exit is clear. I have applied this mantra to a lot of life situations.
    Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

What am I missing?? I don't see anything but 9 patches that are set on point. You will have what are called setting triangles around the edges of the quilt. Have you done applique before??
    Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    What am I missing?? I don't see anything but 9 patches that are set on point. You will have what are called setting triangles around the edges of the quilt. Have you done applique before??
    Actually that is not the instructions. The dark nine patches are enlarged by sewing to each side of the nine patch a unit consisting of square piece in the center with a triangle cut from a square (diagonally in half) on each side with a another triangle (this triangle is from a square cut diagonally twice.) sewed to the bottom of the square. This makes a square block when these units are sewed on all four sides of the dark nine patch. Then you make criss cross blocks, side blocks and corner blocks. This requires sewing small pieces, lots of them that are 2 3/8" squares and triangles, some cut two from the 2 3/8" squares and some 4 cut from the 2 3/8" squares. Then these blocks are sewn in horizontal (not diagonal) strips. To me they have made it more complicated than it needs to be and too many little pieces to cut, handle and sew. That's why I am exploring an easier way and hoped someone had made this quilt.
    Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 PM

Best press or starch will hold diagonal firm while you cut and sew. Don't make it too stiff as it spoils the quilting afterwards in my opinion..
    Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 PM

I have written two emails to The Gingham Girls asking if it is possible to strip piece and sew in diagonal strips instead of their instructions, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. In fairness, they probably need more time to reply. I expect a prompt response, but they probably have more pressing business issues and will get back to me soon. I will give that plan a little time, then my plan B is to create a grid and map it out and physically manipulate pieces on the grid, so I can see how it works. Last summer I finished a quilt that was a nine patch and Irish chain. I did strip piecing and loved the process, so when I saw this pattern, I thought the construction would be about the same, but set on point. There are hundreds of tiny bias cut triangles with this method, each cut and sewn separately. There has to be a better way.
    Old 04-08-2015, 10:43 PM

I would strip sew as many of the blocks that you can.
    Old 04-09-2015, 04:44 AM

It seems the "designers" of this pattern have made a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak. So many times, when I decide to do a pattern, I read it, and then see if I can simplify it, or adjust the sizes, or the process.....this is supposed to be my therapy, not add to my daily frustrations! Just me!
    Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Genden
    Actually that is not the instructions. The dark nine patches are enlarged by sewing to each side of the nine patch a unit consisting of square piece in the center with a triangle cut from a square (diagonally in half) on each side with a another triangle (this triangle is from a square cut diagonally twice.) sewed to the bottom of the square. This makes a square block when these units are sewed on all four sides of the dark nine patch. Then you make criss cross blocks, side blocks and corner blocks. This requires sewing small pieces, lots of them that are 2 3/8" squares and triangles, some cut two from the 2 3/8" squares and some 4 cut from the 2 3/8" squares. Then these blocks are sewn in horizontal (not diagonal) strips. To me they have made it more complicated than it needs to be and too many little pieces to cut, handle and sew. That's why I am exploring an easier way and hoped someone had made this quilt.
    Huh???
    OK, I enlarged the picture, and I see what you are talking about.
    There's no reason why you can't strip piece it. Do you need help figuring it out?
    I don't think writing to the designers is going to help. You don't need their permission to use a different construction method & they probably are not going to rewrite the pattern just for you...
    Curious to see if you get a reply.
    I will say that this is a darned cute pattern!!