Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts? >

How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts?

How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM

When I was younger, I sewed all the time, clothes for myself, my daughter and my husband. Made drapes, upholstered...it was great experience and then my mother started quilting after many years again, and I got interested....like quilting a lot better...it is much easier....I'm just sayin
:P
Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 PM

I started out sewing clothes...didn't really get into quilting until about 7 years ago.

I'd start out with simple patterns...I agree with bearisgray on sewing lounge pants or pajama bottoms where the fit is looser. When you want to try something more, McCall's and Simplicity patterns both have lines that are marked for easy sewing...You will even find patterns marked "Sewing for Dummies" that are full of diagrams and easy-to-follow directions....and YES! Take your measurements! Like others who have replied...patterns and ready-made clothing don't run the same...Good luck and happy sewing!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by woody1229
I have sewn clothes since I was a kid -- 40 years, self taught -- and I used to use vintage patterns all the time. Tips from others, like using a dress form, are all right on. My tip would be, especially when you're starting out with clothing, don't take any short cuts. Even when a step seems redundant or unnecessary, if the directions say to do it, do it. My mom didn't teach me how to sew, but she handed me a pattern and said, if you can read, you can sew.
My mom taught herself to sew AFTER she and dad were married and did a lot of sewinf for my sisters and me...and patching jeans and overalls for my dad and brothers....It was from watching Mom sew one thing or another that sparked my desire to sew, but before she could teach me, I ended up getting a job away from home. It was to my benifit that I was able to take a Singer Dressmaker's Course (yes, such a thing was offered) and I've been sewing and enjoying it ever since.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 AM

I sewed clothing for many years and learned to read through the pattern but then use basic construction techniques to do sleeves and basic lines. Learning to be always aware of the straight of the grain and then don't follow directions in some of these patterns. I don't think they were written by seamstresses. I really learned to enjoy fashion sewing more after sergers came out because I like the clean edgings and clean seam intersections you get after you serge . Always sew at seam line first and after you fit to size go back and serge most seams. I found quilting much more difficult because of the precision. I think it is what you do first. The magazine Sew News has good advice on heritage sewing
Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Personallly, I think it is HARD! I do just about(or have triedabout) ever thing and sewing is still a major stress!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 AM

I found patterns of the 50s through 80s were much more involved than today's patterns because they paid attention to what was under the garment; e.g., lining, interfacing, more seams, etc. I once made a Valentino dress and jacket from a Vogue pattern that had more than 60 pieces once I counted the fabric, lining and interfacing. But I loved that dress! I lined even my summer dresses and wore them for years. Today's patterns emphasize "easy" and have cut out much of the "underpinnings" and extra seams (think "princess" style where you have at least 3 pieces each for the front and back). Takes more time to cut and fit but at least you can fit. Today's patterns often have just one piece each for the front and back - hard to fit. Older patterns take longer to use but there's a great deal of satisfaction when you've completed one and love the results.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I would recommend starting with something like pajama bottoms where the fit isn't particularly important.

Clothing making is kind of like making quilts - it can be extremely simple/easy to very complex.

Believe the measurements on the pattern - pattern sizing and ready-to-wear sizes are frequently different - and the pattern industry did some resizing - maybe in the 60s or 70s - don't remember for sure when.
I haven't read all of the posts, but I agree that it would be good to choose something very basic and probably one of the "easy" patterns in the newest pattern books. Then after you are comfortable with the language of patterns and a few basic techniques, you can go the the easier vintage patterns. I learned to sew in the fifties, so if I can do it you can do it. I went on to get a degree in Home Economics ( when sewing was taught). I didn't teach HE for any length of time, but have used my skills in so many ways throughout the years. One was teaching a couple of classes at the local Hancock.

Learning the language of patterns is important. If you have to do it step-by-step with a pencil to check off as you go, do it. (That's how I taught myself to crochet -- step by step, checking off each step as I completed it) I was often guided by the illustrations given with the written directions. If you have difficulty, find someone who can help. YOU CAN DO IT!! Good luck.

PS, I did teach that beginning class by first using an easy pajama pattern.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:55 AM

I just got through making me a simple nightgown to wear around the house. It was supposed to be a "2Hr" project. Well, I didn't believe the measurements were correct. and I ended up having to add some panels. It was a size 16 and I thought it should fit me! also the directions were off and it failed to mention one of the pieces I needed in the layout cutting part. But, I perservered and finished it! Wore it last night and I'm very proud of it. However, I still need to go back to the drawing board and do alterations. the thing is it is real comfortable and that was the main thing. I will say this, though, you can figure it out! And if you want , you can do it your way! You can always fix your errors, rip out mistakes, and so forth. My project was easier, as I never intended it for public viewing. but, I am ready to start on a yellow frock for around the house. And yes, you do get a lot of new scraps and a lot of satisfaction. Your fifties pattern is probably going to have more work and details, but go for it! A simpler first time pattern would be a little smock for a toddler than you sew two sides together and reverse and then top stitch. My advice, check out the pattern before you buy it, and make sure it makes sense! Good Luck, Lady Scarlett in Texas
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by howard anne baumann
I just got through making me a simple nightgown to wear around the house. It was supposed to be a "2Hr" project. Well, I didn't believe the measurements were correct. and I ended up having to add some panels. It was a size 16 and I thought it should fit me! also the directions were off and it failed to mention one of the pieces I needed in the layout cutting part. But, I perservered and finished it! Wore it last night and I'm very proud of it. However, I still need to go back to the drawing board and do alterations. the thing is it is real comfortable and that was the main thing. I will say this, though, you can figure it out! And if you want , you can do it your way! You can always fix your errors, rip out mistakes, and so forth. My project was easier, as I never intended it for public viewing. but, I am ready to start on a yellow frock for around the house. And yes, you do get a lot of new scraps and a lot of satisfaction. Your fifties pattern is probably going to have more work and details, but go for it! A simpler first time pattern would be a little smock for a toddler than you sew two sides together and reverse and then top stitch. My advice, check out the pattern before you buy it, and make sure it makes sense! Good Luck, Lady Scarlett in Texas
You really have the right idea. You struggled with the original pattern and you succeeded. Now, go back to the pattern, make permanent alterations -- add with plain white paper, tissue, or old newspaper (the ink will be dry). Once your pattern is altered to fit, you've got a good pattern that you know you can succeed with. You can make all the nightgowns you need without having to struggle again with a pattern. That's what I used to do with pants and shirt patterns. Then all I had to do was vary the details and I had a whole new garment. Now all I sew are PJs and housecoats. The rest of the time at the machine is for quilting! Happy sewing.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 AM

By now, Rachel, you have had plenty of wonderful guidance on sewing clothes. Just wanted to add my encouragement. Back in the 70s when a team called Palmer & Pletsch were new on the sewing scene I used to go to Seminars that they gave. I can't remember how many years it was before McCall's (I think it was them) began carrying their patterns for clothing. Both in their seminars and in their patterns they encouraged a person to 'relax' and not look at it as a monumental project. Read the directions one small section at a time and then do what they showed you to do. If you were wound up, then go have a cup of tea/coffee and come back to the next section and so on.

In their patterns they drew a cup of tea which was steaming when it was time to step away. It has always helped me. Sometimes or frequently we have to step away. I find that true in quilting also.

Let's see.... I came from sewing for decades to quilting... I would say they can each be difficult and/or relaxing.

Think of the delight you will have sewing for your kids. That being said, that is a good beginning point. Their seams are shorter. Kinda like starting out doing one block instead of a quilt with 50 blocks. Happy Sewing ;)