Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How hard would a bargello quilt be to hand quilt? >

How hard would a bargello quilt be to hand quilt?

How hard would a bargello quilt be to hand quilt?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM

I'm wondering, are there just too many seams to quilt over to be a practical hand quilting project?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM

IMHO there are too many seams to cross in a bargello. I have seen many quilt tops made with that pattern and under the very narrow strips there are 3 or even 5 layers of fabric you have to quilt through. You really need strong hands and maybe it only works with stab stitching...
I really don't want to do it....
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I'm wondering, are there just too many seams to quilt over to be a practical hand quilting project?
I know I wouldn't want to attempt it. I think it would be an exercise in frustration. However, it might not be so bad if you just do a diagonal line from one corner of each patchwork piece to the next following the hills and valleys of bargello design created. You could then stab stitch over the seam allowances as you followed the diagonal line from one patch to the next. Still wouldn't want to do it myself and I would consider myself a relatively avid hand quilter. I actually have a Bargello planned but will be doing it on my LA.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
IMHO there are too many seams to cross in a bargello. I have seen many quilt tops made with that pattern and under the very narrow strips there are 3 or even 5 layers of fabric you have to quilt through. You really need strong hands and maybe it only works with stab stitching...
I really don't want to do it....
Thanks, Andrea. This is kind of what I was thinking. I'll plan on getting that pretty border on my wholecloth wallhanging when I'm ready and work on that instead. Figured I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks again sew very much. :)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I know I wouldn't want to attempt it. I think it would be an exercise in frustration. However, it might not be so bad if you just do a diagonal line from one corner of each patchwork piece to the next following the hills and valleys of bargello design created. You could then stab stitch over the seam allowances as you followed the diagonal line from one patch to the next. Still wouldn't want to do it myself and I would consider myself a relatively avid hand quilter. I actually have a Bargello planned but will be doing it on my LA.
And thanks for the THIRD opinion, too! :thumbup:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM

I hand quilted a bargello once. Never again.

Janet
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 AM

I am not a hand quilter, never done it, but I remembered seeing a post about a beautifully quilted Bargello that was hand quilted and thought I'll share the link for ideas, have no clue if was hard or not, but it sure turned out awesome.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57828-1.htm
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I am not a hand quilter, never done it, but I remembered seeing a post about a beautifully quilted Bargello that was hand quilted and thought I'll share the link for ideas, have no clue if was hard or not, but it sure turned out awesome.

I found that link to, Candi, and was in AWE to know she hand-quilted it with over 80 fabrics!! My goodness, wonder how many needles she went through on that one! I was just thinking it would be really tough to cross over so many seams, and maybe some swirly fm quilting on the machine would be the way to go.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM

I just finished quilting a Bargello quilt myself, I actually rented a longarm ( it is a 102" quilt) and just did wavy lines all across it, I very much like how it turned out. Godd luck on your :)

I found that link to, Candi, and was in AWE to know she hand-quilted it with over 80 fabrics!! My goodness, wonder how many needles she went through on that one! I was just thinking it would be really tough to cross over so many seams, and maybe some swirly fm quilting on the machine would be the way to go.
:thumbup:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Yes this picture is exactly how I would envision doing it if I tried. But I still don't want to handquilt a Bargello :wink: