Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How I Got Motivated >

How I Got Motivated

How I Got Motivated

Old 12-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Default How I Got Motivated

I had not sewn in about 5 weeks. Oh, I THOUGHT about it, but just did not get into the sewing room. Well on December 16th, I decided that I would TELL myself that I was making a birthday quilt for my favorite news correspondent. It worked.

It is another Boxed Squares in many of the same colors as "Tropical Nights" that I made earlier this year. I did the cutting in just two days, and many of them are joined already. I even ordered the fabric for the backing. It arrived today.

Now I am telling myself that I will ACTUALLY send it to him when his birthday is getting close. Hope I don't chicken out.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM

I haven't been quilting much lately either. Mostly doing handwork like embroidery. Maybe you will inspire me.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 PM

I haven't done much quilting lately either. I have cleaned up my sewing area and have spent hours on the board and on quilt shop sites. I finally sewed an Advent Calendar for my DGD and pieced eight blocks together. I still just want to look at patterns and fabric even when I have UFOS and plenty of patterns and some fabric. Sigh...I just don't know what is wrong with me. Starting a project right now seems overwhelming. I think I will just look for awhile longer and see what happens.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 PM

Wish I had time to get to my sewing room. I am working on 2 quilts at the moment and am soooo close to completing them if only I could get to them. But the CW quilt I am hand stitching gets a little time late at night. It is too hot to have anything bigger on your lap this time of year.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Oh Merivale, you made me smile. We lived in Sydney from 1981-85. I remember cooking a turkey in my tiny kitchen in Turramurra on Christmas Day (can you say homesick??). The temp outside was 38 degrees. We called DH's Mom who lived in Regina, Sask. Canada. Her temp was -38 degrees!!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 PM

I think we sometimes get so busy with Christmas activities, sewing, cooking, baking, shopping, etc that we just can't face another project. Maybe not being in the mood to sew kind of resets our clocks so when we have time to take a deep breath we can get back to doing what we love.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:05 AM

I've actually had this problem for a year. I work for a start-up company that is about 2.5 years old. Love my job, but we need another person. By the time I put in between 9-12 hour days, my motivation to do ANYTHING else has stayed somewhere else besides with me and my hobbies. I started a quilt for a baby before she was born. She'll be 3 this year and her little sister is on the way. I need to get my quilting mojo back!

Happy Quilting,
Susan
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 AM

I haven't really sewed since July. Long stretch for me. I have been knitting a lot. Hope I get inspired soon.

Is your quilt for a local news person or a national? DH teases me about my favorite in a kind and loving way, of course.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:42 AM

I go thru spurts of sewing/quilting.I have been in a lull-but have a denim/flannel rag quilt in the washer right now.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:08 AM

A bit of new fabric does it for me.

hugs, charlotte