Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How To Keep HST Points

Blog Entries
    I have no prob making half square triangles & always square them up. The problem starts when sewn to another HST.
    No matter how careful I am,sewing a scant quarter inch seam....lot of points are lost.What am I missing.Doesn't seem to matter if I use starch or not.

Blog Entries
    Is the fabric on the bottom staying lined up with the fabric on the top when you are sewing the seams?
    Are you maintaining an accurate seam allowance?
    When you have squared them up, is the diagonal line coming out accurately to the points on both sides?
    Are you carefully pressing the seams? no hidden creases or stretching of the fabric?

bj
    Are you being careful when you square up that they are still big enough? I found that making them a little bit bigger and then squaring them to the right size helped me keep my points...most of the time (O:

Blog Entries
    Are you sure that you trim the HST (or sew the HST) so it is exactly half and half? Sometimes it looks fine until you realize that the 45 degree line is not exact and you have more of one fabric than the other showing. That will produce a wonky match.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Is the fabric on the bottom staying lined up with the fabric on the top when you are sewing the seams?
    When you have squared them up, is the diagonal line coming out accurately to the points on both sides?
    Are you carefully pressing the seams? no hidden creases or stretching of the fabric?
    Amma has it, these are always the problem, ask me how I know. I was making a feathered star and I just couldn't get it, it was because I wasn't watching that I kept the ruler on the 45.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I do keep the seam on the 45% line, but will check out all the suggestions.I hate when something just keeps being wrong & knowing it has to be my fault.Thanks to all,I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Amma has it, these are always the problem, ask me how I know. I was making a feathered star and I just couldn't get it, it was because I wasn't watching that I kept the ruler on the 45.