Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to long arm a piano key border?

Blog Entries
    I am a newish long arm quilter. I'm doing a quilt with a piano key border. Seems simple enough, but... My first thought would be to stitch in the ditch where the border is joined to the quilt, then stitch perpendicular lines from that line out, but then I would need to stop and start each line... Or do I go back and forth, stitching along the edges of the border as I go.
    Any help will be appreciated!!!

Can't help you but will watch this topic as I wondered the same thing.

Kat

i would go across to the next one, you will be off the quilt for one and in the ditch again on the next

http://mountaintopquilting.danemcowe...no-key-border/

Go to the above link and click on the link under the picture. This will bring up a pdf file. It looks like she puts a curve by the border seam but you could also stitch in the ditch. I have done both

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diane9617

Go to the above link and click on the link under the picture. This will bring up a pdf file. It looks like she puts a curve by the border seam but you could also stitch in the ditch. I have done both
    Thanks, Diane, i did a search before but only came up with videos. Due to our slow internet connection out here in the woods, I can't view YouTube etc.
    I actually like the little curve! It would go well with the quilt I've got loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by diane9617

That is spectacular! I liked the serpentine stitches that were used between the quilt and the border. Who'd of thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    i would go across to the next one, you will be off the quilt for one and in the ditch again on the next
    I agree with Kathy. That is the way I always do it. It is quicker and no hassle as if you did each row separately.

I'm confused. Are you talking about quilting a quilt that has a pieced piano key border, or quilting a piano key pattern into a plain border?

There are a couple of ways to do it.

1: Start at the outside border, quilt to the inside border, stitch in the ditch to your next start point, stitch back to the outside.

2: Start at the outside border, quilt to the point you want to end, stay on the same line and quilt back to the outside border - a double stitch. This is the easiest way I have found to do piano keys when the inside in on a curve, such as a swag in your border.

And...most importantly, don't forget to use a ruler!!