Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Long should it take to piece a block?

Thanks, but I'm so slow! I will really need improvement to get close to an hour!

Ummm. I'd never do a block with that many pieces! Good for you for being up to the challenge. It's a great looking block.

I just finished a top that's made of 7 blocks. Each is a hexagon, 6 1/4" across and has 121 pieces in each one. I could get one block made in two evenings work - so about 7 - 8 hours. Yes, the first 7 rounds are extremely small triangles!

I've also made pineapple blocks - 4 blocks to make a circle star. Those took about 20 min. each, so 1 hour 20 min. for 4. This was my first paper pieced quilt. Quite an adventure since there were 144 blocks to make.

This "takes the cake!" Is it a miniature?
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    I just finished a top that's made of 7 blocks. Each is a hexagon, 6 1/4" across and has 121 pieces in each one. I could get one block made in two evenings work - so about 7 - 8 hours. Yes, the first 7 rounds are extremely small triangles!

I've also made pineapple blocks - 4 blocks to make a circle star. Those took about 20 min. each, so 1 hour 20 min. for 4. This was my first paper pieced quilt. Quite an adventure since there were 144 blocks to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Thanks, but I'm so slow! I will really need improvement to get close to an hour!
    Well, I did hardly any paper pieced blocks. Paper piecing is significantly slower for me, I think. Like I said MOST of the blocks took about an hour. Some more, some less. Some blocks I split up over two or three sessions, and I would guess they took closer to two hours. But nowhere near 7 or 8 hours. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    This "takes the cake!" Is it a miniature?
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover

The whole pieced area is about 19" X 19", but will have a border so the finished size will be larger. I haven't figured out how I'll fmq it yet. It's on a pause for now, some other projects are in the works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2