Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500? >

How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500?

How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 AM

I would certainly go look at it! Sounds like a very nice bargain. I have the 9500 and really like it. Be sure to test it because it is a computerized machine. For that price, you can' t go wrong.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:04 AM

I bought a 6600 off Craigslist in St. Louis for $400. It was from a woman who wanted to upgrade. We went to her home and she brought out all her quilts etc that she had done FMQ on this machine. The thread spindle had broken off and she used a nail and there was something else broken too. Can't remember. My only problem was that we could not thread the darn thing at home and it would not sew for me. The manual was terrible in describing how to thread it. So I took it in to the shop and had it cleaned and a new thread spindle etc fixed. Cost me $125 but now I know how to thread it and it is in perfect shape. Go and check this machine out, I think it 's probably legit. My husband went with me into the house, but it was totally safe. Nice neighborhood etc. Be sure and sew on the machine, find out how it threads, will save you some money !!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 AM

I don't know about Janome but on some of the Vikings you can go into the settings and see how much it was used. I bought mine used from a LQS and it only had 7 hrs of use. Check with a Janome rep and see if there is a way to tell on this machine. Take someone with you. If you still aren't sure, take the serial # and asked who it's registered to (who she's selling it for) and see if it's registered already with Viking and in who's name. Then decide if it is a good deal. You can do this all in one day so she should hold it for you until that night if it's legal.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

i'd see if it worked like new, like she says it is and if it looks new and has manual, bobbins, feet, etc. If you like how it runs, I'd take it.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanks everyone! Looks like its not meant to be, someone else offered up the full amount so she is selling to them. Oh well! The search for a quilting machine continues!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

So sorry you didn't get it!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 AM

This struck a memory about a shipment of Janomes that were stolen, It was NOT the 6500. So thats good....I had to look up the article...
http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...heNews?NID=268
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM

quiltingcandy, that is a great idea. Ask for the owner's manual.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 AM

Wasn't there something posted a while back about Janome sewing machines being stolen off of a delivery transport truck(18 wheeler)? I would do like everyone said take someone with you, get serial numbers etc., if it sounds and looks good to you then go for it. I can assure I don't think you would ever find a Janome 6500 for that price new. They may be telling the truth and really need the money plus they may not know anything about machines and really do want help the lady out. In either case good luck and I am really hoping it isn't stolen and that you do purchase it.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Banned

Too bad you missed that... it was probably legit.

I buy alot of things on CL... and I honestly don't worry about things being stolen, etc. If you waste time worrying and trying to mess with the price, more often than not, you'll lose out to someone else that didn't hesitate.

I just missed a $2,000 Horn cabinet on CL about a week ago. The dude was selling it for $150! It had been his mother's, and he didn't know what he had. When I called him, he already had someone else coming to look at it... (and it would take me at least 45 minutes to get there) ... so I told him that it was worth at least $500 if it wasn't banged up. So he got $500 from that buyer. (Nice to know I helped someone make an extra $350, huh?)

There are so many sewing machines out on CL... and most people selling something that they gained ownership of (in one weird way or another) don't know squat about what they are or what they're worth. And it swings both ways - some sellers see an outrageous ad that is attempting to sell an old machine on eBay for big (unrealistic) bucks so then they think that must be what their sm is worth and list it on CL for a similar price.