Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How to make back fabric piece large at front

Blog Entries
    You can also cut a center wider strip instead of 2 on the outer edges. You can also turn the fabric and instead of running it lengthwise...sew it widthwise.

Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    If I'm just a few inches short, I use this method of diagonal piecing.
    http://www.multi-patch.com/html/fabric_calc.php
    Well I'll be darned ... never thought of this, how clever! Thanks for sharing.

How does the front of the quilt look???? It seems to me that is the "focal point" and the back is just that.........

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    If you go to www.maryquilts.com there is a pattern for a 4 piece backing which is off-centered that looks neat. Best of all, it's FREE!
    What a fantastic site! Thanks so much for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Hancock's Fabric-- you can order on line 108 and wider. They are a great source, plus if you have a local store you can pick it up there also. I also do a lot of ''create it as I go'' quilts I use the left over blocks from the front as my focal fabrics and go from there til the top and bottom are the same size. This way the recipient has 2 designs to chose from. I have only done 1 quilt where the back is of a solid color, to me its sort of blah so I kept it for myself.

Blog Entries
    maybe if you think you might come out short don,t add sashing in between blocks,just make it block to block,that might help
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

Connecting Threads has the wide backing fabric for 11.99. Never saw it any cheaper anywhere

Even WalMart has 108" muslin. I piece my backs, but only use one fabric. When it's finished, you usually can't tell it's pieced.

Why not make a center rectangle of pieces that are on the front of the quilt layed out in a pleasing pattern. You could have a large pinwheel for example and have the center piece bordered with the same border fabric that you are using on the edges of the quilt; kind of a square in a square or rectangle in a rectangle.

If I have a "busy" print for the back, I piece it "sideways", that is the length of the fabric will run perpendicular to the lengthof the quilt top. If the quilt is not longer than 80 inches or so, it will work with 42-44 inch width fabric. Cut longer than the width of the top for each piece, and press under one long edge. Now lay it on the opposite edge of the other piece so that the prints line up perfectly pin, and top-stitch. Voila! You cannot see the seam because the print blends together and looks like one continuous print.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4