Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make bias binding >

How to make bias binding

How to make bias binding

Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 AM

I know that I can use the bias tape tools to make this. But it has always seemed a waste to me to cut up material on the bias to use for binding. Is there a better way to do this?
MSandy
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I like to heavily starch the fabric before cutting bias strips. Also like to fold the fabric such that I am cutting the longest bias strips possible from the fabric piece. That way the pieces that are left over are large enough to use for other purposes. I do not like the method that has you sew the fabric into a tube first; makes for too many seams in the bias.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM

For me it depends on the kind of finish I have on the sides of my quilt. If I'm doing just a straight four sides then I'll cut it with the grain and double. If I'm doing curved, say as scallops, then I definitely do the bias binding.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 AM

I don't like the tube method either.
I fold my squared off end over to the selvedge. I do this on my big cutting table with a 4'x8' mat. You can always fold down to fit your mat.
I use my longest, heaviest ruler to cut the strips.
I now have a piece of plexiglas with a strip of emery cloth 1/2" wide glued down the center to hold it in place.
I wish they made emery cloth in different widths like a roll of tape. And while I'm wishing, I want it to be transparent.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Well, we can always let people who make such things know our wishes. Thanks everyone for your replies.
MSandy
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM

I was told that you only needed to use bias binding if the quilt had curved edges. Otherwise, using binding cut on the lengthwise grain was fine, too, if you didn't want to piece your binding. If you didn't mind piecing your binding, cutting on the crosswise was fine.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM

I have been using the bias tape maker for a while now and i love it. It's quick and easy....the iron does the work. I cut whatever pieces i need and have never had trouble even thought it's not on bias.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I cut my binding strips on the crosswise grain and when I go around the curved ends I pull it a bit and it turns out great. I don't make square corners, don't like the way they hang on the bed.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM

I have the bias tape makers, several of them, but I don't know how to use them. Couldn't figure out how to put the material in the thing. Thanks for all your replies. They have been very helpful.
MSandy
Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

There are videos on youtube how to use the bias maker tools and how to cut bias strips using many different methods. I don't do anything if there is a tool that will do it for me. I bought the Simplicity bias ruler and the bias tape machine. The only binding dread I have now is sewing it on. LOL