Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to make Friendship Star triangle blocks???

Hi all,
    I checked the tutorials, and I can't seem to find how to make the triangle blocks for the Friendship Star. I did what I thought it was, and I ended up with little pinwheels!!

Any help - thank you !
    Nancy

Blog Entries

Assuming you are making a 9" block, then you want a half-square triangle that is 3" finished. You can do this by cutting 2 squares of fabric - one from the point colour, one from background colour. Cut each square 3-7/8". Draw a line diagonally across the background square. Layer the squares right side together. Now you will make 2 lines of stitching - sew 1/4" to the right of the diagonal line you drew. And then 1/4" to the left of it. Cut the square along the diagonal and press open. You now a have 2 (of the 4 you need) 1/2-square triangles for the friendship star.

Thank you very much!! That one looks easy! I was trying to make the half square triangles the way Jenny did on the Missouri Quilt tutorial, by sewing all around the 4 sides of the square. I think I 1/2ed the fabric!!
    nancy

they are 1/2 square triangle blocks- if you put 4 together you get pin wheels- if you put them around a center square- and add corner squares you get a friendship star.

Ohhhhhh....I get it now!!! Duh. Thank you for your help, and thank you for the help with the measurements!
    Nancy