Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to make Quilt duvet???

Banned
    I really have no idea on how to make one. I understand that it is basically two large pieces around a quilt like a pillowcase right?? Any ideas or comments...please help?

Banned
    does no one have any advice?

Are you wanting to make a duvet cover? I have made them in the past and used sheets that are a size larger than the blanket I was covering. Example: Queen size blanket, so I bough king-size sheets.

I cut to size - about 2 inches larger than the blanket I was covering, then sewed three sides. I sewed hems on the open sides and made buttonholes very 6-8 inches to close.

Not fancy, but functional.

I hope this helps you. :)

Just Google it. There are a bazillion instructions out there. Here are two examples.
    http://www.craftstylish.com/item/108...rk-duvet-cover
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5810278_make...vet-cover.html

Blog Entries
    Hey, good question. I enjoyed looking at the links and it has given me a couple of ideas. Thank you for asking. :thumbup:

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I've made a couple of duvets. I don't do the button hole thing. My method is not so special. I buy spools of narrow satin ribbon (in coordinating colors). In the places where a good and patient quilter would put their button holes & buttons, I attach ribbons - one to each side, and march them across the entire opening. I use my sewing machine's Circle Stitch and secure them by their centers. Then, after the quilt or blanket is inserted, I simply tie them all closed.

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    I've made a couple of duvets. I don't do the button hole thing. My method is not so special. I buy spools of narrow satin ribbon (in coordinating colors). In the places where a good and patient quilter would put their button holes & buttons, I attach ribbons - one to each side, and march them across the entire opening. I use my sewing machine's Circle Stitch and secure them by their centers. Then, after the quilt or blanket is inserted, I simply tie them all closed.
    good idea

i just use a zipper or the flip-over method. (like on the back of throw cushions where one side overlaps the other side) on the long edge of the duvet, i sew on velcro dots to keep the edge down.

Banned
    I like the velcro dot idea :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i just use a zipper or the flip-over method. (like on the back of throw cushions where one side overlaps the other side) on the long edge of the duvet, i sew on velcro dots to keep the edge down.

I have made several and then used velcro to close them up and put buttons on top as a "fake-me out". It works for me!