Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to make a summer quilt?

I am going to make a quilt for friends in Florida...what do you line a quilt with for people in the South?
    I have heard flannel...but isn't flannel a "warm" fabric? It seems to me that just a layer of muslin, or cotton would be too thin?
    Also, if you have any experience with summer quilts...I would like to know how densely I can quilt one before it ends up feeling like cardboard??? Thanks...Donna

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I just did this for us to use. I didn't put anything in the middle. I did use a little heavier fabric on the back. Just a top and a back. It was just for us and all scrappy so it didn't really matter if it didn't work but it is working quite well for us and I've thought about doing one for my daughter.

Blog Entries
    I made one for mom out of the warm & natural and it was fine! And shE lives in desert!

a light weight (single sided) flannel is nice- adds substance without alot of weight-
    also good quality muslin will surprise you! muslin washes up to be one of the softest most (cozy) cottons out there...and works well for summer quilts.
    when quilting the density required depends on the properties of the batt being used- so if using fabric as a batt you can quilt any way you want - no density requirements because it is woven and not going to come apart like batts pull apart.
    if going with flannel there are single and double sided flannels- pick a single sided one for the lightest weight.

Blog Entries
    Iím in FL and working on a scrap quilt that will be a summer quilt. This will be my first summer quilt and wonít have batting in it, just cotton for front and back. Your friends will love it!

Thank you all for the help and answers!! Donna

Blog Entries
    i have done it 2 ways..with batting and without..they do run thier air conditioner!

Yes, sometimes with air conditioning you need a cover.

I made a summer quilt a few years ago ... and used flannelette! Even during the hot, hazy and humid spells, I still like using it at night.

Blog Entries
    MDU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast