Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many color catchers? >

How many color catchers?

How many color catchers?

Old 11-15-2016, 04:21 PM

I would probably throw in 3 or 4 color catchers since there is red and cream in the quilt. If they turn colors then use color catchers in subsequent washes until no more bleeding occurs. If you do end up with the red fading into the cream I had good luck rewashing it with cool catchers and OxyClean. I found this out the hard way. Also don't put it in the dryer until you check for bleeding. I had 6 different whites in a quilt and the red only messed up one of the whites.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:54 AM

For those that have used the shout color catchers in a front loading machine, do you place the color catcher sheets in a fine mesh like bag?
Thank-u all for the responses for washing this rag quilt .
Old 11-16-2016, 03:21 PM
mac

There are directions for the color catchers going into an HD front loader washing machine. I no longer have a front loader, but I think it said to put them in the washing machine first and your clothes on top.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
There are directions for the color catchers going into an HD front loader washing machine. I no longer have a front loader, but I think it said to put them in the washing machine first and your clothes on top.
I have a top loader and put them in last or sometimes in the middle, when washing clothes. I have no problems.

When washing a finished quilt, I use a recipe found on a different thread called "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running" that works well and includes using a color catcher.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
For those that have used the shout color catchers in a front loading machine, do you place the color catcher sheets in a fine mesh like bag?
Thank-u all for the responses for washing this rag quilt .
I have a front loader (hate it, but that's another story) and I just toss color catchers in with the wash. Don't use a bag. They show up when you're done, sometimes in the rubber gasket in the front where all sorts of errant things land (found one of DH's ball point pens there last week) or sometimes not til I'm emptying the dryer, but it has never seemed to matter when/where I put them in.