Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many patterns called "One Block Wonder"?

Several quilting friends have made OBW quilts and we all have different patterns. Some are called Stack and Whack, some Kaleidescope, some octogons etc. What is the pattern for six-sided with each fitting into the next block? Is it simply Hexagon?

Blog Entries
    The stack and whack quilts I make are not OBW. The pattern was designed before OBW, but she did write both books.

Go to Topic Lists. You will see a category called OBW, Kaleidscope, etc. for information.

One Block Wonder is a term coined by Maxine Rosenthal. For this quilt, 6- or 8-sided blocks are made from a single fabric and assembled with no sashing. Stack-and-whack was started by Bethany Reynolds and generally involves sashing and more than one fabric in the quilt. Both techniques require that you stack layers of fabric before cutting. I don't think either lady actually invented the idea, but they made the quilt designs popular by writing books with easy construction techniques.

Kaleidoscope is a term that has been applied to lots of different quilt patterns, including OBW.

Blog Entries
    My boo boo! I will call it exhaustion to just make me feel better. I still don't plan on ever making a OBW.

Marti Michell came out with a book and ruler for Kaleidoscope quilts.

i cant wait to try one

Come on! Get on the band wagon. The OBW is a fun quilt to make. It gets to be exciting to see how each block will look, and then placing them together. I have made two and have fabric for another one! :thumbup:

Can someone recommend the name of the books to look at?

www.Connectingthreads.com has 40% off books right now and I would like to order one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by New knee
    Come on! Get on the band wagon. The OBW is a fun quilt to make. It gets to be exciting to see how each block will look, and then placing them together. I have made two and have fabric for another one! :thumbup:
    I will make one when I see one that I absolutely love!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast