Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rulers or tools have you bought but...

Haven't fully learned how to use yet? Or am I alone in this area of having done this? :lol: Lets just say I have several I need to get down and play with until I get the hang of how to use, and use correctly/accurately. :?

I have about 3 or 4 different sizes, just regular Omnigrids. I pretty much know how to use them. But I have one for diamonds that I am still figuring out. I think it is a little off in its measurements, because when I match the fabric to other rulers, it seems just a bit larger.

I'm with you on owning lots of cool stuff but not knowing how to properly use it. :D

I'd like to take a class on how to accurately measure with all these fancy rulers. I've got the big olfa mat, the fancy ruler, and a sharp cutter but still...somehow....it doesn't come out the way it's supposed to.

Heck, I need a basic class on how to match up selvages and when to cut on the bias, etc. =)

Blog Entries
    i never buy a ruler if it looks like i have to "learn" how to use it - especially if it requires a companion book and/or a class. if it isn't obvious from looking at the picture, or looks like it will take more than a few minutes with the instructions that come with it, i move on.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can still only get accurate cuts from my plain old ruler about 90% of the time. I don't think I'm ready to move up to fancy.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Patrice. If it isn't a "duh, that'll really save me time, AND it's straightforward", then I pass on it. I'm not really a gadget person... I prefer simple multi-purpose tools that don't take up a lot of space.

What I have occasionally been bad with, is attachments for my sewing machine. I buy 'em, try 'em out once, get frustrated that there's a learning curve... and then put 'em away, sometimes for years, until I'm forced to use them because there's a particular project for which the attachment is essential.

Blog Entries
    I like specialty rulers. I have a drawer full of instructions on how to use them. When I need one I rummage through the papers and this keeps my memory fresh on what rulers I do have that does what. The rulers that come with quilt books I have them attached to the book. I have one ruler that only has 7/8 measurements marked and I have used it much more then I thought I would. I keep the smaller rulers in a basket, the large ones hanging on the wall and the med size one in a ruler rack.

I have a lot of "special" rulers and I use them all. I have found that using the right tool makes the job go faster and the results are better (for me, anyway)

Some of the specialty rulers I have are for triangles, kaleidoscope quilts wedges, Dear Jane blocks and flying geese.

I think only one. I just use it for lots of other things.

In the middle of the forest, In The middle of North Carolina
    After using the same long, 5" wide ruler for 10 years, I broke down and bought a new 6" wide Omdngrid. It has The yellow-green markings. I tried using it, and went back to my old one, which has all black markings, and a lip that catches on the side of my cutting board. I couldn't read the new markings as well, but will keep trying it until I can. :lol: :lol: Rulers are not cheap anymore, and I have several squares that i use to square up, and to check my squares for sizing. I have had to replace my 6 in one twice, have worn 2 of them out. But the long one with black marking is still my favorite.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast