Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:24 PM

In addition to my Viking, which is fairly new, I have some older machines: my grandmothers Featherweight, DH's grandmothers treadle, and some in betweens that we just never got rid of. They work ok and my (adult) daughter may some day take up sewing.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:59 AM

14 - Found most at garage sales for $20.00 or less. Bought 4 on ebay (2 Featherweights, a 301 and a coffin top), I won the Elna at a quilt show. Bought 3 new ones (Singers). Found one in the back of a flea market (49.00) and turned her into a crank machine which I love for piecing. Bought a Singer 301A in a beautiful cabinet at a garage sale for $20.00 and another 1935 Singer in a beautiful cabinet for $20.00. I have my mother's sewing machine from the 70's and my grandmother's Singer from 1937. My Singer Anniversary 100th was a Christmas present and the new Singer Curvy was on sale. Any older ones have been cleaned and oiled when they enter the house. I have had to buy only 1 new motor for the Singer Coffin Top (from ebay). Use them all at least once a year. However, my Featherweights and the 301's are my favorite. And the Elna and the Singer Anniversary are great for quilting the quilts. No more unless I have to rescue one.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 AM

I have seven machines of various sorts. I did sell a couple of the ones I had a couple of years ago-but I rather miss them. I just enjoy having and using them. There is no reason to have several-but why not if they are just fun and comfortable to have? I don't have a lot of clothes and we have one older vehicle and that too is OK. Just enjoy things that make you contented in life-for me it is machines, fabric and thread.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 AM

I have 3 sewing machines, a serger, and a collection of toy sewing machines. The 3 sewing machines all have very different characteristics. One is better at "this" and another is better at "that". The 3rd machine I bought recently is a Janome with a very large opening so I can FMQ even a king size quilt. I have a 35 year old Pfaff that is an amazing machine with an excellent walking foot. I have another Pfaff, about 20 years old, that is small and not computerized. It is perfect to take to retreats.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM

That is exactly why I got my treadle -- the electricity went off at 5:00 in the afternoon and I didn't have any handwork projects started. I was soooooo frustrated that I found a treadle on eBay that week and had it home by the next Saturday.

I have the first machine I every purchased, a Singer 237 bought in 1971. I was 18 and got the best machine I could afford at that time. I used that machine for 30+ years. It had a straight stitch and a zig zag stitch and I was so happy with it. My dear MIL bought me an off-brand machine in the early 80's that I never really liked or used, but I will never get rid of the 1971 Singer or this machine. I have three Berninas (now that was a wild jump from the 1971 Singer to a 2005 Bernina 440 QE!). I have 4 black, 1 white and 1 tan Singer FWs ranging in age from 1939 to 1964. I also have a 1928 Singer in a wooden case which was given to me by one of my DH's friends, and a Singer 301 which I have given to my daughter (who lives with us, so I still consider it mine LOL). Plus I have two sergers . Grand total 16.

I think I've come to the end of my collecting. I have promised to give one of the black FWs to my sister. However, I am still on the lookout for an affordable Singer FW 222.

Originally Posted by GwynR View Post
Number eight will be a treadle in case the power goes out! That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Three. A White treadle given to me by a friend who has since passed. We plan to get the wood cabinet redone and get it back in working condition. Then I have my 15 year old Pfaff that I do all my general sewing and piecing and last a babylock Jane. I wanted a machine I could leave set up just for Free Motion and could go on a frame ( once I buy one). Husband thinks I need a serger now so this may become four lol.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 PM

This makes me feel so much better!
I have a Brother that my mom bought me in the 80's, and was given a Viking Lily, and Pfaf. But, am looking to upgrade as my skills have improved and I just Want a better machine.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:27 PM

More than 20...
most recent is a babylock crescendo...love it...my main sewing machine...I also have the first sewing machine I ever bought...a kenmore...had a Janome 6600 but sold it...have a white serger, a Kobe blind hem...a juki industrial, A vintage singer industrial, 7 featherweight 221 1 featherweight 222 from England..2 301's two other vintage machines, a 99k, and an old treadle my son brought home that doesn't work...need to get rid of some but find it hard to do...
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Two sewing machines, two sergers and a midarm quilting machine. My second sewing machine is kept in a wheeled bag, ready for class at the drop of a hat. When I'm in garment making mode, two sergers set up for different tasks is extremely handy . . .and well, I love my Tiara II midarm once I got over the steep learning curve.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Eleven... because I love them and I can! Some were purchased for a specific use, and some just because I was interested in them. I have a 1908 treadle that just fascinates me! It's like a precision watch. Two sergers, because one stays set to roll edge hem and the other serges seams. My Juki 2010Q quilts all my quilts. One Singer 403 because my aunt had one and it reminds me of her. Two featherweights, so my daughter and I can both have one... and I have two Singer 201s and one Singer 15 because they were being sold for $25 in beautiful cabinets and in good shape! I figured if I ran across someone who wants to get into sewing but doesn't have a machine, I could give one of those to them. Lots of machines, lots of reasons... why not?