Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many? >

How many?

How many?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:32 PM

I have been quilting since the mid 70's. I have 2 small quilts I kept for myself, but I give all of them to my 4 children, 10 Grandchildren and 4 Great Grandchildren. My daughters love anything I make, and know how to care for them. Everyone has a Queen size quilt on their beds, and at least one more for a change. I don't have one on my bed, but hopefully will some day. My 3 daughters have wall hangings and tablerunners also. I also have about 30 tops I have pieced and appliqued that have not been quilted yet.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:42 PM

I've been quilting about 2-1/2 years but I made A LOT of quilts in my first few months - 18 quilts made between April & December of my first year, all of them given away as Christmas gifts. I'm up to around 30 quilts made so far (I should go count!) and counting the two I've made for DH specifically, we have about 8 that I've kept. Most are a large throw size but one is a King size that's on our bed. We keep a quilt in each of our cars and the rest are just on rotation for DH & me and the dogs to snuggle under on the couch.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:39 PM

I make quilts to give to family and friends. I did keep one quilt for each bed in my house and three throws that are in constant use. I love making quilts and so enjoy giving them to others.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 PM

I keep most of the quilts I make. I do give some to charity, and I have made some for our guild's quilt auction, but most I keep. Somehow deep inside I have trouble parting with them, I guess. I also really believe that most folks don't appreciate quilts, and I don't want to gift a quilt to someone who might not even want a quilt. I have made quilts for seven friends who selected the fabric and patterns. I like doing that, as I know they actually liked the quilt when I finished.

But do what makes you happy. I like lots of variety and change out the quilts I am using often.

Dina
Old 10-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Ok I seem sort of normal then if I'm making these for myself.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:26 PM

I made quilts for each of my four daughters and then the six grandchildren. Some of those have another as they got older, but it depends on the mom. Many years ago my mother told a story about going to the home of an old woman who showed her a bed that was was piled high with quilts, one spread over the other. I've always loved that image, and having quilts to give away or sell if someone wanted one. I finally have one on my bed, one on guest bed and a whole bunch, some of which I am now planning to show in a program I'm developing for local guilds. A few hang on the walls, and there are two in my living room for me and a guest to use on a cold evening. I also have given many away through various outlets: Linus project, to nieces who work with foster kids and a hospital, guild projects, friends, cancer patients, etc. I don't surprise people with quilts very often. Just because I like a color or pattern doesn't mean someone else will and I think it's a mistake to expect everyone to cherish what we made if it's not their taste. I'd rather give it to someone in need. If it's a stranger I don't have to know what they did with it, so I'm not offended by finding out they tossed it or something. The main joy is in the making, for me. If someone reacts to one of my quilts in a way that indicates they'd really like it, it's so gratifying to just say, "Take it, it's yours!"
Old 10-03-2014, 04:28 PM

I have been quilting for over 40 years, and up until a few years ago I had never kept a single quilt. I have a few now that I use , and have discovered its nice to change them every few months.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:32 PM

I just counted photos - I've made 33 quilted projects so far. Four table runners, a tree skirt, one set of placemats, one small wall hanging and 26 quilts. I've kept eight of the quilts, a Christmas table runner and tree skirt and the small wall hanging. The other 18 quilts have been gifted. So it looks as if I've kept about one-third of the projects for myself.

Last edited by loisf; 10-03-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 PM

I've been quilting for two years now. I only have 1 quilt in my house which is the very first one I made. I haven't kept another quilt back. They always seem to find soneone else to love.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:54 PM

I haven't counted how many I've made or how many I've kept. I would guess I've made about 20, mosty in the past 10 years, and kept maybe half or one third. I have the first 2 I made, 40 years ago, one from my grandmother, one from my husband's grandmother, plus some more recent ones. I've made quilts for family members, a few for charity, usually 54"x45" for young kids, and double bed or larger for teens and older family members.