Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many? >

How many?

How many?

Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Default How many?

Recently my cousin lost her husband suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was 55 and they had been married 33 years. I want to make her a quilt using some of his shirts. I'm not sure which kind she will prefer, t-shirts or dress/cotton shirts. My question is how many shirts do I need to use to make an average size queen? She lives in a different state so she will have to mail them. So I wasn't sure how many to ask for. I know some of have made these before. I'm not sure what pattern I want to use. I could use some suggestions on that as well. Thanks in advance. Gina
Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear of her loss.
Here's the link to the seven dress shirt quilt:
http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
This results in a throw, 52” x 64”, so extrapolating, a small queen, 80X80 would need about twice that. There's no reason why you can't just add yardage in a neutral or complimentary color, however, so the number of shirts isn't really super critical.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 PM

Thank you. I appreciate the link. I guess if I ask for a bunch, I can always send the unused ones back. ��
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 PM

be sure to use stabilizer with the t shirt material. It stretches all directions otherwise
Old 12-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Any left over shirts, you could make a pillow case to go with it.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:54 PM

I recently lost my husband and am thinking of making his shirts into small quilts for our children (grown) and grandchildren. What you are going to do is a wonderful idea. Sorry about your loss!
Old 12-22-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
Recently my cousin lost her husband suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was 55 and they had been married 33 years. I want to make her a quilt using some of his shirts. I'm not sure which kind she will prefer, t-shirts or dress/cotton shirts. My question is how many shirts do I need to use to make an average size queen? She lives in a different state so she will have to mail them. So I wasn't sure how many to ask for. I know some of have made these before. I'm not sure what pattern I want to use. I could use some suggestions on that as well. Thanks in advance. Gina
I made a throw from a friend's dad's shirts. We used 8 and had more than enough fabric left over. We used the turning 20 pattern. I completely dismantled each shirt, and even used some cuffs, pockets, and collars as they were, for the fun of it.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post

If you are doing the work, tell her what material you prefer working with.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 PM

I have been making aprons from dress shirts (mens & womens). I made over 20 for a friend's family (he passed away last spring) from his shirts. I used the long sleeves for the ties or pockets. Short sleeves for the pockets with the ties cut from the yoke or back. If shirts are short I made a ruffle from the back. Here is a link: http://www.allfreesewing.com/Refashi...ns-Shirt-Apron
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Dress or flannel shirts would make a nicer quilt. If doing a tshirt limit the number to fewer then lots.