Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many washes to "rag"? >

how many washes to "rag"?

how many washes to "rag"?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM

My pattern from accuquilt said to do a 5/8 seam; mine fray really well first time washed
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM

I usually do at leat 1/2 inch on my rag quilts, but have also done 3/4 inch and really like them the best. I have not tried to use cotton tho as it doen not rag as well, I have used flannel, homespun and denim
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm hitting myself upside the head here and listening for all the Southeners on the board to say, "Well, bless her heart!" :) I'm amazed today that I'm allowed to play with scissors.

So ... After the 2nd wash I pulled that thing out of the washer and started clipping. It looked better even before I washed it again. It's doing it's thing in the washer so I'll let you know. Yes - it's raw edge applique so not really that many seams to rag.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

its the clipping that does the most work-
and to have a really nice- noticable ragged edge more than one layer of fabric is needed- it will remain pretty flat with only one layer- and just stringy if you don't clip the edges.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Oh I want to do a denim rag quilt so badly !!!!!
So you are saying that 1/2 to 3/4 " is a good seam allowance for the rag quilt.
Anxious to do it. I saw pic of one and looked like they cut into the raw edge every 1/2 " and was so cute.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Saw a denim rag (pic) and it looks like they cut it like every 1/2 " into the seam. It really looked adorable.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 PM

i have a rag quilt started, but it is not so far that i cannot stop, it is made of shirt cambray, i cut 20 inch blocks one on top of the other, layered three together,no batting, different colors and stipes, sewed in all together in a random back and forth straight pattern, zig zaggy pattern, but a straight stitch 12 to the inch, now my plan is to then cut them in four pieces and sew them together, i am trying to explain and do not think i am doing a good job. but am trying, after they are random sewn in straight lines, i cut them apart in four pieces (acurrate but not too important), and i have 4 ten inch squares, then i take the squares and sew them togehter, they do not have to be perfect, just sewn, and stop half inch from the corners of each square, back stitch and make sure they are secure, my plan is to bias bind it, prior to washing, and then wash the heck out of it, at the laundry mat, and wash and dry again. the binding will be double sewn, with no raw edges, and i washed and dried the fabric three times to reduce shrinking, i just want it to fray. sorry, but it is a plan and want thoughts for my plan, the front hopefully will have the frayed rag look and the back will be mostly flat, comments
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM

i have a rag quilt started, but it is not so far that i cannot stop, it is made of shirt cambray, i cut 20 inch blocks one on top of the other, layered three together,no batting, different colors and stipes, sewed in all together in a random back and forth straight pattern, zig zaggy pattern, but a straight stitch 12 to the inch, now my plan is to then cut them in four pieces and sew them together, i am trying to explain and do not think i am doing a good job. but am trying, after they are random sewn in straight lines, i cut them apart in four pieces (acurrate but not too important), and i have 4 ten inch squares, then i take the squares and sew them togehter, they do not have to be perfect, just sewn, and stop half inch from the corners of each square, back stitch and make sure they are secure, my plan is to bias bind it, prior to washing, and then wash the heck out of it, at the laundry mat, and wash and dry again. the binding will be double sewn, with no raw edges, and i washed and dried the fabric three times to reduce shrinking, i just want it to fray. sorry, but it is a plan and want thoughts for my plan, the front hopefully will have the frayed rag look and the back will be mostly flat, comments
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM

you really need to to do a 1/2 to 1 inch seam. i usually do 1/2 and find that it works well.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM

thank you i was wondering if i should just jetsum my plan, in my head i thought it would work, now i believe it will, i call it nantuckut summer, never been there but saw a photo in a magazine once, and it inspired me, not the quilt, just the colors, old whites, creams and pastels, in a house that was so old and beautiful in the photo, i save my inspirations out of magazines for color and form, it lets me close my eyes and see what i want it to be in the finished product, it iis not necessary for you to respond, i just appreciate your help, if you would like too, i would enjoy it, if not, keep on quilting

jan in palatka