How many of you have an acrylic extension

Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Bonnie Hunter loves this company, http://sewingmates.com/
she can use their adjustable on any of the 30 or so sewing machines she has
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Bonnie Hunter loves this company, http://sewingmates.com/
she can use their adjustable on any of the 30 or so sewing machines she has
I purchased one for my Bernina Artista 185 from Nancy's notions, I think. I managed to break the clear surface. Lucky for me my husband is a machinist. He had a piece of plexglass cut to the right size and used the legs that came with the first one to make me a new one. I love it because I can store a lot of my stuff under the surface but it visible so I can find my stuff. My set up is on a 4 foot folding table that I purchased from Staples or Office Depot. My husband made me little fiberglass coasters that make it just the right height when they are placed under the legs.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM

I got mine at a Bernina dealer
Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks for all your input. I think I have made up my mind. Did research on the sewing mate website, I like that it doesn't have plastic for legs and the table can be adjusted for different machines. On a limited income so want something to use with all my machines. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM

I had one made for a vintage Viking and it worked very good but wouldn't you know my Viking died. It would cost more to fix than to buy a new one...so there my table sits. Maybe I'll see if it could be adjusted to my new machine.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 AM

I have one for my Janome sewing machine it's a pretty large one at least it's larger than the one that came on my other machine. I really love using the extension table especially when FMQ sometimes I wish I could use it from one machine to the other but it just doesn't fit.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
You might want to check with your local glass company. They may have the plexiglass/lexan to make one to your specifications.
Just in case anyone is interested, the one I had made at the local glass shop cost $30 but it was made as an insert. It would need legs if I wanted it above the surface. Guessing size is about 17 inches by 24 or so, maybe a little bigger.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 AM

I have the sewing mate from www.sewingmates.com. I have used it on two different machines and it travels well. May take 5 minutes to set up to adjust leveling etc. on different surfaces. Sewing Mates was very helpful and quick delivery!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 AM

My main machine is dropped into a table but I would love to get a couple made for some of my vintage machines that I don't have tables/cabinets for. This thread is giving me all sorts of ideas; thanks for posting it!

I happen to live less than a mile from a custom plastics store/fabrication shop; I drive past it all the time. I have a few projects in mind that I think they can help me with, I think I'll have to stop in there this weekend and finally find out what kind of prices they charge!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM

My big Elna came with one, and as far as I'm concerned it would be a waste of money to buy one. I've had the machine about 10 years and have used the extension table maybe twice.