Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you... >

How many of you...

How many of you...

Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM

My LAQ has about 20 of my quilts waiting to be quilted. Some quilts, I need quickly so I quilt them myself. I just finished a full size quilt on my small Bernina. I had no problem with it. I think I will be quilting more of my quilts now as I really enjoy FMQ and I hate waiting months to get a quilt back. I will say this, my LAQ is an awesome quilter. She does such a great job that I really shouldn't complain about the wait.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:24 PM

I've been working a lot on my quilting skills. Not being to actually quilt the quilt I made just didn't feel right. Now that I've been practicing on smaller projects I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere. It feels great! And I'm having fun!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM

I've always done my own quilting. It's my 2nd favorite part of the process (my favorite is designing the quilt).
Old 11-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I learned to do my own machine quilting. Nothing spectacular but it looks nice. I have used nationally known LAs and the work is fantastic. I show the local LAs what I want and they just shake their heads saying I'm asking too much. So I don't use them.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Mostly all my quilts are to be used and abused, so they are mostly straight line quilting on my DM. I have FMQ one baby quilt with a simple meandering stitch, but just can't seem to get the tension and my movement right. I do hand quilt anything that is worthy of it's time. I have no plans to make a quilt to show, or just sit on a bed. I've thought about sending a few to the LA'ers but I'ld rather spend that money on fabric than on perfection. My tops are not perfect and I've had not complaints yet. So until I feel one deserves such special treatment, my DM will have to do.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:50 PM

I have always quilted my own, my skills have not until recently been good enough to ever even consider sending them out, and even though my skills have somewhat improved my pocket book hasn't so don't think I could afford to send them out anyway.

I have always done a quilt as you go type quilting, now I do something entirely different, I have googled it and do not think anyone else does it.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:03 PM

I don't feel that a quilt is done by me unless I do everything. If you only piece it then have someone else quilt it, that is not done by me. I either do straight line quilting or use my embroidery machine.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:08 PM

I have quilted my own so far, but....... there is a special top I am gathering fabric for. It is going to be a king and the quilting on it (the picture I saw) was very intricate and involved. It is way more than I can do myself, so I plan to send it out. This one is going to be for me and I want the feathers and wreaths on it and cannot do those myself. (yet)
Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 PM

I have been giving myself the luxury of sending every 5th or 6th quilt to the LA quilter. She does a fantastic job and I can afford to do that on special quilts. However, I am getting better at machine quilting on my old vintage Singers and I love to hand quilt in the winter when it is nice and cozy to have the quilt on my lap while I am hand quilting. So, the answer is yes, I do upon occasion give myself the privilege of using my wonderful LA quilter just so she keeps doing it and the cost is worth it for her great talent.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:30 PM

Wow, I guess I'm not a "quilter". I didn't realize that I can't claim it is "my quilt " if my friend "Bob the Quilter" quilts it for me.i love to piece, but find it too difficult to quilt large quilts. I did not realize that fellow quilters were so judgmental