Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of your quilts do you keep? >

How many of your quilts do you keep?

How many of your quilts do you keep?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Default How many of your quilts do you keep?

I know I may be the odd one in the bunch here , as I don't keep any of the quilts I make. ( I may be keeping one I receintly made) I am wondering after seeing so many fabulous quilts posted here , how many end up in someone elses home? Would you say 50 percent of what you make lives somewhere else? Whats you number ... what is the percentage of completed quilts you make that are given away?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 AM

So far the only ones I have kept are ones I have made in a class. I keep them because they are my reminders of how to do something or sometimes how not to do it. LOL but that needs to end soon, My DH says our bed needs one.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 AM

Out of all mine I only have one, a lap quilt I made just for myself for when it is chilly and my RA act's up. All the rest have found homes with children, grand children or friends. When I make one and someone falls in love with it, it goes home with them. No you are not the odd one, I am right there with you.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM

I give 75% of the quilts I make to charity. Most go to Project Linus. I have made quilts for myself and have plenty, as do my family and friends, so I'm concentrating on charity quilts.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM

I made quilts only to give away to family and friends and for charity and did not keep any. But...now I have kept three, two queen size and a lap size. Folks would ask to see the quilts I made and all I had to show was photographs and the comments were always the same,"you make quilts yet you do not have one on your own bed." I have a civil war design and a 4 patch posy and a dp4 patch. I may keep one or two more in the future, but the rest goes to others and that gives me (and you) a great deal of joy.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Most of mine go off to live other places. I do have a plan to do bed runners though - get a neutral solid comforter for our bed then make runners. I have a book that has patterns for 10 runners - not seasonal, but may use the patterns there and seasonal prints/colors. Neutral curtains. I can see it, but don't know when I'll do it. I think that would be a good way to practice my skills at FMQ without worrying about where the project would end up.

I have a cheery cherry quilt I just love - kept it, making one as a table clothe for kitchen table - I work on the blocks when I'm in between other things, plan to finish my Farmer's Wife Sampler at a retreat in June - will keep that one, but of the 50+ quilts I've made - that's it for me!

CraftyPat - I'm with you. When I finish one that doesn't already have a home I put it on the back of one of two rockers in my living room. If someone seems taken with it - it's theirs! Love that!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM

I've made 10 since mid October. We have 1 in the house as I made it for our dd. I want to make a couple for our home, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 AM

I have always slept under a quilt. Once the grandmother-made quilts were worn out, the first one I made was for my own bed. I only have time to make one large quilt a year, if I'm lucky. After I made a few gift quilts for family, I now need another new quilt for my bed! Lesson learned: don't waste time on complicated quilts that get heavy use.

I would love to have a rotating supply of quilts for each bed in our house. Maybe when I retire I'll have time for that and more gift and charity quilts.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM

I don't have any quilts I made -- I do have some table runners, though. I keep promising myself that I will keep one but they all seem to go to other homes.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM

I'm on my 21st quilt and I've kept 4. 1 queen, 1 king (finally one for our bed), and 2 lap quilts. I kept my first one because I didn't feel like it was good enough to gift and another lap size didn't fit the personality of the receiver, so I made her a second one and kept it for myself. I love gifting quilts and have many more to go before all the special people in my life each have at least one : )