Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to mount a block to show both sides of the block >

How to mount a block to show both sides of the block

How to mount a block to show both sides of the block

Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM

Default How to mount a block to show both sides of the block

I would really appreciate your help. I am a new quilter and would like to enter a quilt block into a country fair. The rules say that the block must be mounted so that both sides can be judged. I have no idea how to do this....was in fact checking to see if Michaels had maybe a see through frame. Has anyone done this and if so how can I do it please. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM

well i answered in the room when you asked... those were my first two ideas
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

I find a nice piece of cardboard or foamcore a little bigger than the block. I place the block on the board and using a fair size sewing needle and crochet cotton thread, put a stitch going through the seam allowances in the 2 top corners and knot the thread on the back. It secures the 2 top corners to the board and allows the judge to flip up the block to see the back. Make sure all your seams are pressed nicely and all threads trimmed. I use a hole punch to put a hole in the edge of the board to attach a tag to. Your fair will give you a tag to put on it? With that bring said, this is the way we do it in my area, yours might be different.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Good ideas from Tartan ...
I simply pin min to a piece of foam core and they lift out the pin to see the reverse.

As Tartan said, it could be different in your area .... you would be best to contact someone on the committee for that section at the Fair, and ask what are acceptable ways to meet their requirements. I am sure you will find they will be glad to help as most Fairs are thrilled to have new exhibitors and will do what they can to help encourage your participation.

Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 AM

thank you ladies for your excellent ideas....it is not something I thought of - I was thinking more along the line of putting it in a double acrylic frame, but could not find any.... (my newbie thinking). Your idea sounds great...and I will use it. I will also try to reach someone at the fair for some advice... thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM

[h=2](Huggers)[/h]
oH i Oh I didnt intend to imply i was bothered, sorry if it came across that way.... i read what a couple other people said, and i learned more about the concept... apparently its a very nice thing small fairs do for new people coming into quilting. judge a block.

The people who made comments about just a flat piece of foam core a little bigger than the block, *pin* in some way the top two corners, and they can *flip it to look at the back* sounds like a simple and workable solution.

I would still call the Community Arts people at the fair and see what they advise, see if its *supposed to be plain white foam core and like people said, pin the top corners of the block to it. I imagine the name and entry information would be on the back, so the judges *wouldnt know who's work it was*.... My own instincts might be to cover the foam core with a pretty complimentary piece of fabric on its front, turned neatly around the corners to the back and stapled with tiny staples... hee hee but they may think that *marks who made that entry* ... i.e. maybe they are all supposed to be plain white... I dont know. Haha. Sounds like fun... are you only allowed to enter *one* ?? Good luck... let us know..