Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much basting spray to use >

How much basting spray to use

How much basting spray to use

Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Last night for the first time I tried using Tailor spray on med cotton batting. l laid out my backing on the kitchen floor, taped it down to keep it tight. then sprayed some of the basting spray on the batting, liad it down, smoothed it out then sprayed the top of the batting and centered my quilt top ...this is a a charity baby quilt. Anyway, I even did a little bit of pinning. But it just doesn't feel like it is going to hold. How much do you guys use? How far away do you hold it? Basting spray virgin here. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Last night for the first time I tried using Tailor spray on med cotton batting. l laid out my backing on the kitchen floor, taped it down to keep it tight. then sprayed some of the basting spray on the batting, liad it down, smoothed it out then sprayed the top of the batting and centered my quilt top ...this is a a charity baby quilt. Anyway, I even did a little bit of pinning. But it just doesn't feel like it is going to hold. How much do you guys use? How far away do you hold it? Basting spray virgin here. Thanks to all in advance.
I used June Tailor spray once and thought I was going to suffocate!!!! :mrgreen: Any way.....when I do it, I spray the fabric, I don't know if that is the right way, but when I spray the batting, it seems to absorb the spray and not stick as well. Course, I am sure there are a lot more experienced folks on here that can answer your question. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 PM

There are as many different answers to that question as there are quilters who use it.
The first time I used it I went fairly heavy and it did not move. One of the ladies I took a class from at my LQS store was talking about pinning versus spraying & her answer was you just Spritz and she mad a zig-zag with her hand. I tried the zig-zag and found that there was not enough to hold.
My answer to your question is: spray lightly and test the fabric, if you find it is not sticking to your satisfaction, then spray LIGHTLY again. I tend to hit the corners a litle heavier, but I try to not over do as it can be a little hard on the breathing and you do not want so much that you gunk up your needle and machine.

Happy Quilting
Susan.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM

My experience with the June Tailor brand is that I need to spray A LOT to keep it together.

With the Sullivan's brand, you can do the light zig zag.

And, with 505, you do it somewhere in the middle.

If it doesn't feel like it will hold, it probably won't, so spray it some more! lol
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM

I like the 505. I spray the batting because the backing or top soaks through. I also pin afterwards, but only about every 12 inches. In my opinion, the pins keep the layers together and the spray keeps it from shifting.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:13 PM

I use the June Tailor and just did three lap quilts from one can. On all three I echo quilted which means a lot of stuffing the quilt through the machine often. I haven't used one pin and nothing moved. I like the stuff.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM

I also like the Tailor spray-it seems to hold better. I agree tho-open the windows for ventilation. I spray my fabric and then also spray the batting. I put a few pins around the edges (I'm insecure) and it seems to hold for as long as I need it to. I have one UFO that I sprayed a while ago, and it's still holding.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM

I use Sullivan's with just a light spray to the batting, add the backing. Then I smooth it with the edge of a ruler, spray other side of batting and add the top. Smooth with the ruler. I never have any problem. I make lots of Mini Quilts this way. Oh I do this in the garage with the door up. Ask me why? Because I got it on my hardwood floors and DH had a fit. He bought me some saw horses and a piece of plywood for our third garage stall. Whata guy!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM

After I have the 3 layers basted together, I run the iron over them. I have found that it holds better after I do that.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I spray lightly, and then test to see if it is holding. Most of the time a light coat works great :D
I do add a few pins around the edge, that is where I seem to really man handle the quilts :D:D:D