Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much better the Walking foot.............. >

How much better the Walking foot..............

How much better the Walking foot..............

Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

ok so someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Everytime I have tried to use 1 I break the needle. 1 day I broke about 6 and tried every which way to put the walking foot on. I bought mine at Hancock and it come without direction.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
The only time the walking foot comes off my machine is when I'm free motion quilting or putting in a zipper that needs the zip foot.
I bought a Pfaff because of the built - in IDT, for that reason. However, each brand seems to have its foibles as I am always having communication problems with the computer. Just as well that I quilt more than I embroider...
Old 10-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I am used to the IDT on the Pfaff, so changing the walking foot on my Babylock is a bit fiddely. But it works well once on. (Just gotta remember to put the feed dogs back up after trying FMQ)
Old 10-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Not sure why you are breaking needles trupeach 1

I have 3 for 3 different machines. My Janome 6600 has a built-in walking foot. The other two are the same and just attach to the shank as per normal, just make sure the arm sits above the needle bar.
If you still are breaking needles you should take it and your machine back to Hancocks. Also if you have a LQS you could take both to them and ask advice. You will be so glad you took the time once you figure it out. I couldn't imagine making a quilt without mine.
Good luck & I hope I've been of some help.
PS Just had another thought, keep your needle in the central position so if you do any fancy stitches you don't hit the presser foot.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
ok so someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Everytime I have tried to use 1 I break the needle. 1 day I broke about 6 and tried every which way to put the walking foot on. I bought mine at Hancock and it come without direction.
Oh trupeach, I love you. I wasn't about to admit I'm still breaking needles like they were free. It was going to be my little secret. LOL My prob. is still with FMQ though. I don't understand why you're breaking them with your walking foot but I sure feel your frustration.

The girls on here solved my prob. the other time since I was sewing through too many layers. I think my prob. now must be my tension. I mean MY body tension. I must move my fabric too fast & chg. directions too quickly. It causes the needle to bend breaking it. Over & over & over. Grrrrrr. I want to learn this so much but am getting very frustrated.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Mine had instructions but apparently I didn't read them :oops:
Here's what my machine says about installing the walking foot......"Hook the connecting fork of the walking foot onto the needle clamp screw, lower the presser foot lever, and then use the presser foot holder screw to attach the walking foot to the presser bar".

The connecting fork is the little "U" shaped arm that extends from the walking foot (which I couldn't figure out why was even there) and the "needle clamp screw" is the screw that tightens the needle. I wasn't putting the connecting fork on the needle clamp screw so when I sewed it seemed to hit the edge of the foot and really didn't "walk".

I'm sure you already know all this and your foot issues may stem from something else but I wanted to share all I could.