Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how much do you charge for potato bags???

Blog Entries
    A co worker told me she wants to buy a potato bag from me. i did tell her that the material was expensive to buy and i had started putting a plain material inside to cut down on costs. she has one already and loves it - she bought it at a craft show (not from me) now she knows i am making them and wants to buy one. what do i charge?? i don't feel i am that good to charge anyone but i don't want to give it away. i also let her know that i did make them with 100% cotton material, batting and thread.

Never heard of potato bags... but it makes sense to take them out of the plastic bags that make them rot.

You should charge what you spend in materials, PLUS an hourly wage for however long it takes you to make it. I wouldn't sew for hire for any less than $10 an hour, but the price is up to you to determine. Don't sell yourself short.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    You should charge what you spend in materials, PLUS an hourly wage for however long it takes you to make it. I wouldn't sew for hire for any less than $10 an hour, but the price is up to you to determine. Don't sell yourself short.
    I agree with this, and I only want to add, don't feel bad about charging for your hard work. It's often a problem with us women. I recently had to tell my client that I was raising my rate since I was working more hours, and I actually felt ill the whole day before. If you tell your friend your price, it's then up to them to purchase it or not. If you don't want to put your friend on the spot, you can always tell them the price and then say, "think about it and get back to me."

I hope you let us know how it works out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Never heard of potato bags... but it makes sense to take them out of the plastic bags that make them rot.

these are bags made out of cotton for cooking potatoes in the microwave. everything has to be 100% cotton - material, batting, thread. you can also use it for corn or dinner rolls

Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03
    A co worker told me she wants to buy a potato bag from me. i did tell her that the material was expensive to buy and i had started putting a plain material inside to cut down on costs. she has one already and loves it - she bought it at a craft show (not from me) now she knows i am making them and wants to buy one. what do i charge?? i don't feel i am that good to charge anyone but i don't want to give it away. i also let her know that i did make them with 100% cotton material, batting and thread.
    I sell mine for $10.00.

I sold some for $10 also - I was very surprised at how much interest people had in them. No one balked at the price tag.

Blog Entries
    what's a potato bag?

I saw an ad recently for them, showing both as potato bakers and tortilla warmers!

I have thought of making one but never have. Not sure is my batting is 100% cotton. $10 definitely sounds very reasonable.

Would bamboo batting work also or not in the microwave?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast