Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much does a yard of cotton quilting-type fabric weigh? >

How much does a yard of cotton quilting-type fabric weigh?

How much does a yard of cotton quilting-type fabric weigh?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I copied this off of Whittlesfabrics website on what their shipping charges are. Tells you roughly how many yards per...

SHIPPING CHARGES
Orders are shipped by U.S Priority Mail or U.S. Priority Flat Rate, whichever is less expensive. We are not responsible for damaged, lost or stolen items. Insurance can be purchased if requested. Please allow 5-7 business days for delivery. You will receive confirmation email when your packaged has been shipped. We make every effort to save you money on the shipping. If you have any special shipping requests, please notify us.

Domestic Shipping Rates
$4.95 Flat Rate envelope-approx. 8-9 yards of fabric (45" cotton - non-flannel)
$10.70 Flat Rate Box-ups to 25 yards of fabric (45" fabric - non-flannel)
$14.50 Large Flat rate box 45 yards of fabric - (45" fabric - non-flannel)

Hope this helps some.
They must be able to make the fabric squish flatter than I can.
SUCK the air out of it with a vacuum cleaner!!! Put it in a thick plastic bag - suck it thin and tape it shut - cram it in the box and seal it WITH THE ADHESIVE that's on the box. I *believe* you can't/shouldn't be able to add your own tape. Maybe they think it's cheating! LOL
Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I copied this off of Whittlesfabrics website on what their shipping charges are. Tells you roughly how many yards per...

SHIPPING CHARGES
Orders are shipped by U.S Priority Mail or U.S. Priority Flat Rate, whichever is less expensive. We are not responsible for damaged, lost or stolen items. Insurance can be purchased if requested. Please allow 5-7 business days for delivery. You will receive confirmation email when your packaged has been shipped. We make every effort to save you money on the shipping. If you have any special shipping requests, please notify us.

Domestic Shipping Rates
$4.95 Flat Rate envelope-approx. 8-9 yards of fabric (45" cotton - non-flannel)
$10.70 Flat Rate Box-ups to 25 yards of fabric (45" fabric - non-flannel)
$14.50 Large Flat rate box 45 yards of fabric - (45" fabric - non-flannel)

Hope this helps some.
They must be able to make the fabric squish flatter than I can.
SUCK the air out of it with a vacuum cleaner!!! Put it in a thick plastic bag - suck it thin and tape it shut - cram it in the box and seal it WITH THE ADHESIVE that's on the box. I *believe* you can't/shouldn't be able to add your own tape. Maybe they think it's cheating! LOL
I've added tape. The clerk at the counter has added tape.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

The original question is:

How much does a yard of quilting fabric weigh?

I was hoping for an answer something like: 4 to 8 ounces.

Short pieces I can weigh. Just the long lengths are the problem.

The flat rate boxes are great. But not very economical for something that weighs 13 ounces or less.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 PM

I have used good old duct tape for years. That is good for anything. The PO even complimented me on how well my pkg. was taped. Wished more people would. Have done a lot of overseas shipping in the past with 3 sons in the Navy. Don't know why they should mind your xtra tape. If it should become opened during shipping, they wouldn't have to hear complaints. I have worked in the main PO in Cedar Rapids & if you ever saw how the mail comes off the trucks, you'd understand the use of extra taping.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Well, it doesn't seem like we have been able to answer your question very well -- How much does a yard of fabric weigh. All I can suggest is that perhaps you could take several samples of fabric to the post office and ask them to weigh them for you to give you a better idea. Or perhaps the deli counter at a grocery store if the PO is too far to go.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 AM

I just ordered from a company that folded a total of 7 yards and placed it in a flat-rate envelope ($4.95)...and, when you and I traded fabrics it was a similar amount, which cost like $7-$8 (can't remember) in a polymailer. How much did it weigh? Geez, I dunno! :D

FWIW, the rule on flat rate envelopes is you may reinforce the closure with a single length of tape, only on the back side. As long as you don't cut the seams to make the envelope bigger, you can cram as much as you want in there!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I just ordered from a company that folded a total of 7 yards and placed it in a flat-rate envelope ($4.95)...and, when you and I traded fabrics it was a similar amount, which cost like $7-$8 (can't remember) in a polymailer. How much did it weigh? Geez, I dunno! :D

FWIW, the rule on flat rate envelopes is you may reinforce the closure with a single length of tape, only on the back side. As long as you don't cut the seams to make the envelope bigger, you can cram as much as you want in there!
It cost $9.00 - I still have the mailer - where did you get the polymailer?
There were approximately 6.5-7.0 yards of fabric in it. Still a bit less than the flat rate medium box (assuming the mailer was fairly inexpensive)

From my point of view, a most excellent swap.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 AM

The flat rate envelope is the cardboard one. There is one for Priority, and another for Express. The Tyvek envelope, larger than the cardboard one is very strong - good for anything unbreakable, but is not flat rate. It will be charged at the Priority rate for the weight. THat's why you got charged $7.55. The flat rate boxes are great for anything heavy - not a good deal for light things. If you package in your own brown box, the P.O. clerk can give you a choice of Priority vs Standard mail. Standard (parcel post) will be slower, but less expensive. You can add tape, but just to reinforce the seal. The seals have to reach around the items completely. I'm a postmaster, (posting from my very small office). If I can clarify anything, just ask.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ

It cost $9.00 - I still have the mailer - where did you get the polymailer?

I just bought a bunch from a girl I know...she had bought a bunch in bulk.

I guess what I was saying that if I knew I could deftly fold 7 yards of fabric into a flat-rate envelope, I would have! :D

And yes, quite the awesome trade. I'm totally cleaning up my scraps right now so I can "start fresh" so to speak, and dig into my new goodies!!
There were approximately 6.5-7.0 yards of fabric in it. Still a bit less than the flat rate medium box (assuming the mailer was fairly inexpensive)

From my point of view, a most excellent swap.