Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much does a yard of cotton quilting-type fabric weigh? >

How much does a yard of cotton quilting-type fabric weigh?

How much does a yard of cotton quilting-type fabric weigh?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I am expecting a range - because some are "light and flimsy" and others are "hefty"

The reason for the question is so I can guesstimate what to ask for a shipping charge if/when I sell some of my stash. USPS always wants a weight before it will give an answer!

I have a scale that weighs up to four (or five) pounds, but it's small.

It's practically impossible to read it when I have a large amount of fabric setting on it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Try using one of the Priority Rate boxes. All you can cram in for a set price, per size of the box.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM

those flat rate boxes are wonderful and as long as they weigh less than a child it will be under 20 per box.probably around 10 or so.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM

One pkg I mailed out this week weighed 14oz. for 1yd. of cotton fabric. I mailed it in a small manila envelope for $2.92. I use my own brown manila envelopes for anything less than 4lb. It is cheaper than the flat rate envelope postage at $4.90.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM

I just happen to have my scale handy and a couple of one yard pieces of fabric. One weighs 5.6 oz and the other weighs 4.4 oz so that's big difference. Not much help I'm afraid unless you average the weight. One piece is light so I'm not surprised.

14 oz seems heavy unless that counts the package.
I weighed (2) 1/2 yd pieces and they came in at 6.3oz. together.
Lots of luck! :-D

I have a ton of fabric I want to offer but I can't find the dumb camera! Actually it's dumb me for losing it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kygirl
One pkg I mailed out this week weighed 14oz. for 1yd. of cotton fabric. I mailed it in a small manila envelope for $2.92. I use my own brown manila envelopes for anything less than 4lb. It is cheaper than the flat rate envelope postage at $4.90.
I try to do that, too.

Flat Rate containers are wonderful, but they are not always the most economical way to go. Although sometimes I will pay for convenience.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM

I copied this off of Whittlesfabrics website on what their shipping charges are. Tells you roughly how many yards per...

SHIPPING CHARGES
Orders are shipped by U.S Priority Mail or U.S. Priority Flat Rate, whichever is less expensive. We are not responsible for damaged, lost or stolen items. Insurance can be purchased if requested. Please allow 5-7 business days for delivery. You will receive confirmation email when your packaged has been shipped. We make every effort to save you money on the shipping. If you have any special shipping requests, please notify us.

Domestic Shipping Rates
$4.95 Flat Rate envelope-approx. 8-9 yards of fabric (45" cotton - non-flannel)
$10.70 Flat Rate Box-ups to 25 yards of fabric (45" fabric - non-flannel)
$14.50 Large Flat rate box 45 yards of fabric - (45" fabric - non-flannel)

Hope this helps some.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM

I recently received a collection of 20 half yard pieces that were packaged in one of the thin cardboard shipping envelopes from USPS. I thought those are $4.95, but I was billed $7.55 for shipping. I put the fabric on some old kitchen sales and it was close to 3lbs, but those scales are not very accurate.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Linda B
I recently received a collection of 20 half yard pieces that were packaged in one of the thin cardboard shipping envelopes from USPS. I thought those are $4.95, but I was billed $7.55 for shipping. I put the fabric on some old kitchen sales and it was close to 3lbs, but those scales are not very accurate.
I noticed that there are 3 flat cardboard envelopes at my PO. One is flat rate, one is overnight and the other was for more of a parcel post, I think.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I copied this off of Whittlesfabrics website on what their shipping charges are. Tells you roughly how many yards per...

SHIPPING CHARGES
Orders are shipped by U.S Priority Mail or U.S. Priority Flat Rate, whichever is less expensive. We are not responsible for damaged, lost or stolen items. Insurance can be purchased if requested. Please allow 5-7 business days for delivery. You will receive confirmation email when your packaged has been shipped. We make every effort to save you money on the shipping. If you have any special shipping requests, please notify us.

Domestic Shipping Rates
$4.95 Flat Rate envelope-approx. 8-9 yards of fabric (45" cotton - non-flannel)
$10.70 Flat Rate Box-ups to 25 yards of fabric (45" fabric - non-flannel)
$14.50 Large Flat rate box 45 yards of fabric - (45" fabric - non-flannel)

Hope this helps some.
They must be able to make the fabric squish flatter than I can.