Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how much fabric might I need?

I've just posted asking for suggestions for patterns, as I'm trying to decide what quilt I might make for my Mum, before I go fabric shopping at a show tomorrow. Supposing I don't find a pattern, and I just look for 3 fabrics in the colours I want. How much fabric should I buy to make a 60in square quilt? Now I know that's a "how long is a piece of string" question, as it depends on the balance between the colours in the design I eventually choose, and the amount of waste, but, assuming I end up with a pattern that uses similar amounts of each fabric, any rule of thumb guidance as to how much I should buy? I'm asking because otherwise I'll probably get far too much "to be on the safe side" - and I've got lots of other things on my shopping list, so would like to have some money left!

I would go with 2 yards of each. If you want to play it safe and don't mind extra for a pillow or two you could do 3 yards each.

I will always get extra... that explains my exploding closet.

There are a number of fabric calculators on line. You might try googling "yardage calculator for quilting" and then take your pick of what to use.
    Of course you'll always want a little extra. :)

I use this site to figure my yardage. Remember to get a little more for mistakes.
    http://www.vrya.net/quilt/flash/QuiltCalc_Loader.html

Blog Entries
    60x60 = 2.8 sq yds and that's with no seams.
    Wagoza's suggestion of 2yds each sounds good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagoza
    I would go with 2 yards of each. If you want to play it safe and don't mind extra for a pillow or two you could do 3 yards each.

I will always get extra... that explains my exploding closet.
    I agree. 2 yards of each plus extra.
    And that's why my stash is out of control!

I usually get 1 or 2 yards of any fabric I buy that I don't have a specific measurement of how much I'm going to need. I used to try to get 3 yards of each, but that's getting too expensive unless I hit a good sale.

Thankyou, ladies, for all your help. Now to go and play with all that lovely fabric..!

Blog Entries
    I used to get 2 yards of fabric for an unspecific project, and usually regretted not getting more. Now my rule of thumb is: If I like it - 3yds minimal, If I love it - 5 yds, and if it is something that I will use often, like blenders or solids( white or black), then I get the bolt. Yes, this does appear to be extravagant, but, there is nothing worse than running out of a particular fabric when you are almost done a quilt, only to find out the LQS has none left.

Well, I found some lovely fabrics in the colours I wanted, and bought 2.5 metres of each - now to decide what to do with them! The show is fabulous; seems to be bigger than ever. I'm sure I didn't even do half of it yesterday. I hope my feet and legs will hold out to do the rest today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast