Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much fabric should I buy?

I have heard that there are guidelines out there that give you the approximate amount of fabric in a quilt top.

I have found a collection that I just have to have, can't live w/out it. But I don't know what pattern to use. And I wonder why I have so much fabric :)

I digress - I know I want to make a queen size so how many total yards of the collection do ya'll suggest I buy?

How much can you afford?

Seriously now, it is hard to tell without knowing how many colors in the collection and what pattern you are making with it, but I never get less than two yards of anything unless it is for backing when I get more. If DH is the one shopping (and I always love his selections), he gets 3 yards and when I use them I always end up using it all.

Maria

Ok, if it's fabric you HAVE to have...just buy the entire bolt! lol
    That's what I'd do!

I would pick my favorite and buy 3 yds. Then I would buy a yard of each of the others....should figure out to be enough for a top.....this is just my way. :D :wink:

It is the Heritage House collection in the red and blue with the cream that has the red and blue dots. I found it on the Thousands of Bolts website.

Being that I would have different hues of the red and blue, I think TOB has two of each color what do ya'll think it would look like used in the disappearing nine patch?

should look good...most webs that have fabric have calculators to figure yardage. can't wait to see it :D

Power Poster
    How expensive is it?
    How much can you afford to spend?

I do know of (not personally) people that have a pattern all picked out and buy practically to the inch. It would probably be a lot tidier and less costly than my method. And certainly less of a storage situation.

It usually ends up that the piece I bought the most of isn't used, and the piece I bought the least of, is the one I should have used as the dominant fabric.

So, if I was buying on speculation, and my budget could handle it - I would probably buy at least three yards of each one. You could always make pillow cases/covers out of the left overs. Or a coordinating wall hanging.

Also need to take into consideration that you may or may not be able to add to the collection at a later time. Some designs just show up for a very brief time.

And this didn't really answer your question, did it.