Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much fabric?

How much fabric?

I want to make a queen size log cabin quilt. It will be made of 12" blocks consisting 4 darks and 4 lights. The problem is I've looked for a pattern to buy and haven't been able to find one. Can anyone help me figure out how much fabric to buy?

I'm going to make it out of the Prairie Paisley II fabric and it's on sale and my birthday's coming up and I want to buy it NOW! lol

TIA

Blog Entries
    Last edited by diamondee; 02-14-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added a site

Blog Entries
    I too just love log cabin quilts, especially all of the different variations. I would buy a little extra fabric if this is something that may go out of print. Ask the shop owner if it is going to go out of print and if it will be reordered. Good Luck and enjoy your birthday. Grace
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I have Eleanor Burns log cabin book with 2 1/2" strips you need according to my book:

for 83" x 111"
    Center 1/4yd, 1L 1/2yd, 2L 7/8yd, 3L 1 1/4yd

1D 3/4yd, 2D 1yd, 3D 1 1/4yd

This is for 14" blocks so it at least gives you better idea. It is a good book she makes it into strip piecing so it's less boring and mundane. the numbers and letters are 1st Light and so on and 1st dark and so on.

It will vary a little if your strip length is bigger or smaller. Hope that helps and it shouldnt break copyright cause I did not give the pattern just a guide for yardage. If I'm wrong just let me know...
    *Rachel*

Diamondee, tks for the links. The second one is awesome!

Grace, it's a new fabric line so there shouldn't be a problem with getting more. Tks for the birthday wishes. Not only am I getting this beautiful fabric, but I'm also getting a sewing cabinet. I'm really stoked about it, can you tell?

Rachel, the information was very helpful and I don't think you stepped over the line at all. Thank ou.

Thanks gigi, I meant to say that finished size includes borders the yardage is to make 4 blocks across and 6 down
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    I was going to suggest the Eleanor Burns Log cabin book too, I made a LC quilt using her book, very easy. I just suggest be very careful cutting and having 1/4" seams. I didn't have the 1/4" foot and some of my blocks were not the correct size.

jmabby, I plan to paper piece it. I still don't trust my quarter inch seam. Me and my 1/4" foot aren't getting along. I hope to get it on my side one of these days.