Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much fabric?

How much fabric?

When you all are just shopping for nothing in particular..just looking..and you see a fabric you love how much of it do you buy? That is if you don't have a pattern in mind to use it on.

I used to buy one yard. That was three years ago when I first started. Then I jumped to two yards, and it always turned out that I wanted a border out of the fabric too. So I just jumped to doubling that again, buying four yards. However, I think three yards might be what I get from now on.

Not much help, huh? Sorry...

Dina

Dina, Yes it helps a lot. I have been buying 1 yrd and was just wondering what everyone on the board bought. I think I'm going to start getting more.

it really depends on the fabric- what i love about it- if i can envision a dozen different quilts with that fabric- i might buy 3-5 yards - if it would make great borders- again i will buy about 3 yards....if i love it but really don't *see* a lot of uses i might buy 1/2- 1 yard...if i love it but really don't know that i will ever come up with something to use it in i pick up a fat quarter....it's all in the potentials you see when you look at the fabric
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Generally, 2 to 2.5 yards. Sometimes I'll buy more if the price is right and/or I think it'll make a good backing on a quilt in progress.

Power Poster
    Depended on the price -

Blog Entries
    I agree it depends on the price AND how much money is in my wallet at the time. If BOTH are right I'll generally buy 3 yards for general use. If it's a big print and I think it'll make a great back, I'll buy 5 yards.

Nan
    http://napquilting.com/
    http://alturl.com/euusk

My GOAL is always to ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

If it's a fabric that I absolutely love, then it's 3 yards cause I may have more than one use for it. Been buying a lot of 1 yards and that doesn't seem to be working out. So now it's 2.5 to 3.

I buy 3 yards ... just in case.

I think it depends on the number of colors or different fabrics you like to use in a quilt. For me, as I like lots of different colors/fabrics one yard is more than enough of any one fabric. It depends too on how you like to do your borders... I like to do a lot of piecing with lots of colors/fabric for borders .. so it really depends on your style and size . If you are a quilter that likes a wide border of one fabric for a bed size quilt ... then I would suggest no less than 3 yards, 5 yards if you want to include the border fabric in the main body of the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast