Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much fabric?

I want to make a rail fence quilt, lap size, using 3 colors. The finished blocks would be 12 inch. This is by making 4- 6 1/2 inch squares jioned to make the 12 1/2 unfinished square. the strips would be 2 1/2 inches . The quilt would need 12 blocks. How much of each fabric would I need??

If you can't do the math maybe you should invest in the book "patchwork minus mathwork." It's available at www.clotilde.com for under 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gennynut
    I want to make a rail fence quilt, lap size, using 3 colors. The finished blocks would be 12 inch. This is by making 4- 6 1/2 inch squares jioned to make the 12 1/2 unfinished square. the strips would be 2 1/2 inches . The quilt would need 12 blocks. How much of each fabric would I need??

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can feel free to borrow my calculation method:
    go to the store
    buy what you think you will need
    make the blocks
    go back to the store to buy more fabric only to find out that they are sold out
    then contact the sister-store in a town 100 miles away and send your sister to buy more fabric

It's just an idea....probably not a good one.

For the 12 blocks you will need 48 strips 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 of each color. If you cut the strips at 6 1/2 in you should be able to get about 18 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 strips. You would need to cut 3 strips at 6 1/2. The amount needed would be 20 inches. Does that sound right?

For the 12 blocks you will need 48 strips 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 of each color. If you cut the strips at 6 1/2 in you should be able to get about 18 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 strips. You would need to cut 3 strips at 6 1/2. The amount needed would be 20 inches. Does that sound right?

Oops I forgot to say that the 6 1/2 in strips would be the width of the fabric. I always use 40 inches for the width that is why I got about 18 strips.

If I'm understanding correctly, you would need two 2 1/2" strips of each color for three 12" blocks. so a total of 8 strips of each color, would be 20", so you'd have to buy a minimum of 2/3's of a yard of each one. If you don't add any borders, that would give you a 36x48" quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lnordyke
    You can feel free to borrow my calculation method:
    go to the store
    buy what you think you will need
    make the blocks
    go back to the store to buy more fabric only to find out that they are sold out
    then contact the sister-store in a town 100 miles away and send your sister to buy more fabric

It's just an idea....probably not a good one.
    Although not an accurate method...it can be a more fun one :D:D:D Especially if you see more fabric that must come home with you!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast