Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much to pay/charge for binding services

Just wondering what some of you out there pay/charge for binding services? I understand there are two types of service - one is where the binding is already sewn on the quilt and the person doing the binding service simply hand stitches the binding to the back of the quilt. The other is where the person doing the binding service squares up your quilt, sews the binding on the front, and hand stitches the binding to the back. I have been quoted 10 cents an inch for the first type of service, and 17 cents an inch for the second type of service. Thanks!

np3
    Blog Entries
    I do my own. I can't imagine paying to have that done. Sorry.

Banned
    I don't provide this service, but in my neck of the woods to square, attach and hand finish binding - for straight binding - runs twenty-five cents an inch. Some charge thirty cents. Scallops, prairie point, etc are pretty much priced on an individual case basis and can cost more. Sometimes, the binding can cost more than the quilting.

Here (NH) to square, attach and hand finish is $3.00 per linear foot (works out to .25 per linear inch).

kso
    I just paid $30 to have a queen size quilt bound. (cut binding, sew and hand finished) I thought it was well worth it.

Blog Entries
    Doing the binding is my favorite part of making a quilt. Silly me, I've done binding for friends for free because I like doing it. I had no idea there were "binding services". This thread has enlightened me!

I enjoy sewing my own binding as long as my hands hold out! One of the women in my former guild charges 30 cents an inch, that's machine sewn to the front, turned to the back and hand finished. Many of the women she sews for love a hand-finished look, but have arthritis, carpal tunnel, grasp issues, etc and are unable to hand sew any longer.

Blog Entries
    If I did the handquilting then I tack on $15. If all I do is the binding then $30.

Binding is one of my favorite parts of quilting. Maybe I should advertise and start a business. No, I don't have time and then I wouldn't be retired would I? Seriously, $30.00 isn't too bad if you really don't like binding.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dellareya
    Doing the binding is my favorite part of making a quilt. Silly me, I've done binding for friends for free because I like doing it. I had no idea there were "binding services". This thread has enlightened me!
    I'm with you.