Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much planning for scrap quilt...

Thank you all, lots of good information, and I am going to move forth fearlessly. I will post photos once I finish one. I love this forum and all the great, helpful people I have found here.
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

I am working on one now. I started cutting up the smallest scraps that fit my project. Then I moved on to larger pieces and cut a few more blocks. When I get them all cut I am going to use an idea I got from here. Put them all in a bag. Shake up the bag and pull out two and sew them together. Unless they are the same piece or really really fight each other do not pay attention. It should be interesting.
    Carol

I'm not chairjogger, but I think this is her quilt
    http://colormequilted.com/favorite-patterns/
    It is called one pinwheel rail fence

I mostly make scrappy quilts and just use whatever piece of fabric I pick up first.
    Don't sing of yesterday; yesterday is gone. Tomorrow isn't written. Make today your song.

I think it depends on the pattern you pick to use your scraps. If it is a log cabin, then you need to separate into lights and darks, same with several other patterns. If it is a string, then it doesn't matter but needs a center strip that is the same for all the blocks to unify it, but it doesn't have to be the same exact fabric and can be scrappy as well. Meaning if your choose the center strip to be red it can be different reds but still all red strips. In the case of the scrappy trip around the world you don't have to separate into lights and darks, you use need to have the same widths, 2 1/2" sixteen inch lengths is good. But if you have really small scraps you could do a crumb quilt and then anything goes. Lots and Lots of options. Just go for it, it is truely the most fun type of quilt to make. Using up your scraps is a "good thing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2