Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much Is that Quilt in the Window? >

How Much Is that Quilt in the Window?

How Much Is that Quilt in the Window?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Okay, I have decided to finish the two quilt tops that I was going to sell. So I need to know how to price this, I've looked at places like Etsy and Art Fire... and Ebay... the finished quilts are way expensive, and granted, as much as I need 300 dollars, I'm not going to sell one thing for that amount. That and I'm a beginner.

So the heres the run down.

The quilt that I'll be able to finish tomorrow will have a polyester filling cause we have a lot of polyester batting that mom bought last year for her quilt. she bought a ten yards of it. I estimated about how much I would need and the cost of that already, I'm thinking about 8.00 and then the backing is something I bought for a different quilt but decided to use it for this, since I didn't make that other quilt. the cost for the is at $21.00 for the the 3 yards of fabric that I had to buy. It's a fleece, but I believe it can still be used.

The quilt top was made with fabric that was donate. The size of the quilt is 48x64.

So I would like to know what you would do price something like this. (I know I keep asking these questions, but I just want to be sure.)

I'll have more details of the other quilt in about 2 weeks, since I might be getting fabric for the back. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

Pictures would help.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM

In general, and since, as you say, you are a beginner, start at double the price of the materials. So if all the fabric, batting, etc. cost you $50, then ask $100. As you get better and do some nice quilting, you can add $$ to your asking price.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Pictures would help.
I KNOW!!! lol, I want to take photos! But my sister is being a brat and won't charge the batteries to her camera, and her camera has special batteries, I've asked her for the charger and she claims she doesn't know where it is... Next stop is telling my mom!

I tried my camera, but my camera is dead and not coming back to life so I'm stuck with hers... I'm so getting a new one... when I can of course.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 PM

Without seeing the quilt it is hard to know how to price it. Could someone you know take a pic of it with their cell phone? I know it seems like everyone's phone these days has that ability. Would love to be able to help.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 AM

I guess I'm confused. It sounds like you're interested in selling tops, but then you're talking about including the batting and backing?? Or are you going to quilt them and sell them?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I think if its done with batting, ect, it would be worth more than a top, but I agree, it would be nice for a picture. Hope you can get your camera working!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Until you can post pics and get more specific advice, you might like to check out these recent threads for lots of fabulous info and debate on selling quilts, pricing etc.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-4293-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42701-1.htm
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM

I would double the price of materials and how that goes these sites. I put stuff on those sites and people just don' t generally like to pay to much. I just don't get it. All are work is a piece of art. Puzzled
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM

When figuring the price of the materials, be sure to consider REPLACEMENT price. You say some are donated --- but you may not get donated fabrics for the next one. So figure the replacement cost. I have a friend that refuses to consider the sale price, either...said he may not get the sale price next time. He must be right....he just bought a new longarm with his profits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!