Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much time do you spend piecing a quilt?

I started piecing Bonnie Hunter's "Spiderweb" yesterday in an effort to use up scraps. Theres no thought, not alot of precision cutting just PP'ing strips and after 2 FULL days of working non stop I only have enough blocks for a lap quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Some patterns take time even when they appear to be easy. It's gonna be beautiful when you get it done.

Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of scrap quilts for just that reason. Seems like a lot of time is spent "getting it all together". Different than when I have specific fabrics and a pattern to cut.

Blog Entries
    piecing is not my fav. Seems like it takes forever, but when it all comes together and you can finally sew the blocks. it is so worth it.

MTS
    Banned
    And how fabulous that you didn't use white for the stars. Is that black or dark brown? It's very striking, and the blocks look great - a nice change from the same old, same old.

You've got a nice pile of triangles piled up. What's wrong with a lap quilt? And really wide borders are a great look (and quickly enlarge the size of the quilt). :wink:

Blog Entries
    PP for me takes a long time. But sometimes it's just the best way to go.

Depends on the pattern you're making usually. For me, I can make 12/15 Churn Dash blocks in about 2 hours from cutting to sewing and final pressing.

Others, like Snails Trail take longer.

I am doing what I thought would be a fairly fast quilt top, a t-shirt quilt. Boy was I wrong. I have several LONG days in it already, and had help that whole time from my quilting buddy. So, I can definitely relate to the whole "this is taking way longer than I thought it would" feeling. But, like CloverPatch says, it is so worth it when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    I started piecing Bonnie Hunter's "Spiderweb" yesterday in an effort to use up scraps. Theres no thought, not alot of precision cutting just PP'ing strips and after 2 FULL days of working non stop I only have enough blocks for a lap quilt.
    That's a great pattern/stash buster. Yes, using the stash like that is a huge pain. I don't. I use Bonnie's OTHER idea and make my spiderweb's and other piece/stash intensive quilts by using them as leaders/enders or place holders while chain sewing a quilt kit or something.

Only problem is... I've been so successful and using the stash buster pieces as leaders/enders... that I now have two quilts all ready to have the blocks sew and sashed/bordered and finished. So that's two sets of queen sized quilt blocks all done at the same time! Yipes. But it went sew fast, I didn't even realize how much I got done, with less frustration!

For a new pattern, I make one block and from that I can figure out how to make the remaining blocks, hopefully the fastest way possible. Because scrappy quilts are my favorite I usually decide which colors I'll be using and how many strips/squares, etc. that I will need of each color. I then cut and start sewing. I find the piecing usually goes fairly quickly, it's the cutting and borders that can take lots of time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    And how fabulous that you didn't use white for the stars. Is that black or dark brown? It's very striking, and the blocks look great - a nice change from the same old, same old.

You've got a nice pile of triangles piled up. What's wrong with a lap quilt? And really wide borders are a great look (and quickly enlarge the size of the quilt). :wink:
    Its Black and.....LOL..... I've got alot of scraps to use up, the pile seems to be growing instead of getting used up! I thought I'd make a queen but we'll see if I make it that far.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast