Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you pay for old quilting magazines? >

How much would you pay for old quilting magazines?

How much would you pay for old quilting magazines?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:12 AM

Default How much would you pay for old quilting magazines?

I am doing some major clearing and decluttering. I have a bunch of old quilting magazines that have to go. If I sell them at a yard sale, what do you think a fair price would be? Twenty-five cents? Fifty? They are all in excellent shape, no bent pages, no tears, pattern sheets never used. I also have a stack of counted cross stitch patterns, same price for them?
Thanks for your responses.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Look on eBay for an idea of pricing. A lot depends upon how old they are. If they are more than 10 years old, you would probably get between $.50-$1.00 each. If they are less than 5 years old I would ask $1.50-$2.00 each. You can always lower the price or give a quantity discount like 4 for $5.00.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:32 AM

A dollar is what I'd pay for a used magazine in very good or excellent condition.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM

We're talking about a yard sale--you can't expect to get as much as on ebay. Depends on your community also, whether there are quilters/embroiderers that will be shopping. Around here, the yard sale price is usually 50 cents and a quarter. I was at a sale last summer that had "Taste of Home" cooking magazines...older than I had subscribed. They were priced at $1 each and I took all 19 issues. Because I took them all, she let me have them for $10. I have gotten some wonderful recipes from the magazines. Back to the quilting mags--I would pay $1 ea for them, but, just depends on your shoppers and the spending mood they're in. I, too, have stacks of both the quilting & crossstitch. And crochet, & crafts. Someday I'm going to get them all looked thru!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Look on eBay for an idea of pricing. A lot depends upon how old they are. If they are more than 10 years old, you would probably get between $.50-$1.00 each. If they are less than 5 years old I would ask $1.50-$2.00 each. You can always lower the price or give a quantity discount like 4 for $5.00.
I agree. If you are having a garage sale, you might ask you LQS to post the info on their board to attract other quilters to you garage sale.

You have the status of senior member so you can sell here in Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale. Just be sure to read ALL the rules for selling here.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 03-28-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I would ask .25 cents or 5 for a dollar because you want them gone. You can list them on eBay but it costs more than they are worth to mail them.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Location is everything. I went to a local quilt show a few weeks ago, and they had a huge supply of quilting/sewing/crafting/embroidery/crochet/knitting magazines. They were free with the admission to the show. I looked a some but decided I had plenty of my own at home. One lady told me they used to charge for them but no one would buy them, they were tired of storing them between shows and what was left after this show they would throw out the rest. The guild gets a new supply almost every meeting and would have plenty of magazines in time for the show next year.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:51 PM

The quilt shows I go to either give them away free or charge 25 cents each and 10 for a dollar. A dollar would be my top buying price for a single magazine, unless it had a pattern I really needed and couldn't find otherwise. Prices on ebay are inflated because the fees ebay charges sellers have to be recouped.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

My guild sells them for .10 each.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 PM
RST

Around here you can't give them away. I think increasingly people are enjoying digital magazines and don't like the clutter.