Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How noisy is your sewing? >

How noisy is your sewing?

How noisy is your sewing?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

My machine is quiet - but my cursing when the flipping thing doesn't work will wake the dead. lol

I like to listen to TV and be free to rattle around my space at will. So when honey had to sleep during off hours, I would generally not be in the sewing room.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 PM

My DH sleeps thru anything!! I sew with and play music til all hours and he doesn't hear a thing. The only thing that wakes the dog is opening the refrigerator door--I think he's upstairs asleep and look down there he is!!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM

My cat sleeps just fine with all the noise. :)
I crank up the tunes while I am in my sewing room. My sewing machine isn't any louder that the industrial one I used to use.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM

I use my machines on different floors from where my hubby is - so no problem
Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I crank up the tunes while I am in my sewing room.
My treadles are sorta quiet, not that noisy but the clickity-clack of the vibrating shuttle and the occasional squeak and clunk of the treadle its self. But all of the sounds are very soothing when put together.

Now when I am in my studio I usually have the surround sound rocking. My neighbors are okay with me working with the tunes cranked because I have been working in my garage with the doors up all night long and never had the first complaint but I am on an acre of land and I am tucked away behind the house.

Billy
Old 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
If I forget to oil my machine regularly it gets pretty loud because it's getting some wear on it. The new one is pretty quiet, but I sew fast so it makes extra noise. No one's complained about it though. I don't know that it would do them any good to complain. I'd probably just say, "I put up with everything you do so deal with it."
ME TOO!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Mine is on a wooden table and when I sew fast it sounds like a hammer banging :roll: And since my son sleeps in the basement under me.. when he sleeps I don't sew :cry:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 AM

The old Kenmore is LOUD!!! The new brother is quiet. I bought a role of the mesh you line your kitchen drawers with. I cut a piece to fit under my machine. It helps with that machine gun sound and the machine doesn't move either.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM

For, it's not my machines..... it's the radio, or better yet ( or, worse, depending on who you ask...) is my singing! I never close the door, my dog is hyper attached, and whines if she can't see me, she doesn't come into the sewing room, she doesn't like the wood floor, so stands at the door and watches...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My machine is quiet - but my cursing when the flipping thing doesn't work will wake the dead. lol

I like to listen to TV and be free to rattle around my space at will. So when honey had to sleep during off hours, I would generally not be in the sewing room.
Yup that's me too. My machine is quiet, so if the door is closed the most you will hear is a little hum. MIL has to have COMPLETE darkness to sleep not even a bit of light around the door. We had to remove her bedroom door so the wheelchair would fit, so once she goes to bed, I have to go back up stairs.