Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often to have machine serviced? >

How often to have machine serviced?

How often to have machine serviced?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

The calendar idea is a good one, but even if I had had it on the calendar, I was not in a position to take it in at that time. Currently, I am only 6 weeks past that date. Though it has been 6 weeks past the anniversary of the machine purchase, it took four weeks past the purchase date before they had the cabinet for the machine that I purchased from them. I couldn't even use the machine until I had a cabinet for it. A business does best that takes care of its customers. I don't think that I am unreasonable or asking for something that I shouldn't have. My daughter has
come to stay with me temporarily to help and she will be able to help me get the machine to the dealer. Picking it up may be another problem because she may not be here then, but perhaps a neighbor can help.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
The calendar idea is a good one, but even if I had had it on the calendar, I was not in a position to take it in at that time. Currently, I am only 6 weeks past that date. Though it has been 6 weeks past the anniversary of the machine purchase, it took four weeks past the purchase date before they had the cabinet for the machine that I purchased from them. I couldn't even use the machine until I had a cabinet for it. A business does best that takes care of its customers. I don't think that I am unreasonable or asking for something that I shouldn't have. My daughter has
come to stay with me temporarily to help and she will be able to help me get the machine to the dealer. Picking it up may be another problem because she may not be here then, but perhaps a neighbor can help.
{{{Hugs}}} What a shame that you have such a horrible dealer: she's an unfeeling person.

With that said, since the dealer's only ten minutes away, I'd ask a neighbour to pick it up for you if your DD has gone home. Maybe make the neighbour a small thank you gift ... a zip bag or a candle mat or a mug rug.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:51 AM

I would say yearly if you use it alot. Although I have never serviced my cheapie brother and have had it for 4 years
but I use my machines occasionally not everyday or even every week, maybe a few times a month unless I am doing a large project
Old 06-26-2015, 05:26 PM

I have a Janome 8900 and am meticulous about cleaning it...took it in for something else and they did the servicing. They gave me the guzzles they removed( big collection), despite my care.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:24 PM

I have a Kenmore that I have had for at least 20 years if not longer and I have had it serviced a couple of times. I oil it and clean it and have only taken it in when it was skipping stitches. I can't tell you how many times I have heard some of my friends say their machine is worse after coming home from a servicing. So for me and my machine, if it's not broken, I don't fix it.

Of course that's just me......not recommending that you should neglect your machines. )
Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 PM

I agree with Chester the Bunny. A friend came into class with her just picked up machine after a service . Having trouble threading I went across to help. I threaded then asked if she wanted a bobbin put in. Delighted she said yes. I opened the bobbin casing to find it stuffed tight with fluff. It took a good ten minutes to remove and completely clean.
this should have been done as part of the service. It had cost £60. I got satisfaction in helping a friend who didn't know how to clean area. Her machine gets cleaned every bobbin change now.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:47 AM

I have a Viking that I got in 1977 and I have taken it in pretty much every year for servicing. I clean the lint out along the way but for a good cleaning and tune up it goes to the shop. I have never had to repair anything on it and it is still going strong. I can tell the difference in the way it sounds before and after it has been serviced.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:07 AM

Sorry about your husband's illness and the care he needs. From experience I know how difficult life is for a full time caregiver. I would say a shop that gives you that kind of attitude after you explain why you missed the anniversary date is not looking for your business or any of your friend's business. I also know how just being able to do or even think about a quilting project can help keep you going. Get the machine serviced when time allows and don't be too concerned about it. Perhaps a friend could take it in for you.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:53 AM

Firs of all, I don't take any of my machines in unless something is wrong that I can't remedy with cleaning and checking needle Tension disc. I oil the wick and some times the needle shaft. Next dealers......many of them have poor customer service. I live in Texas and purchased machines from a great dealer in Pennsylvania. I guess that tells you there aren't that many great dealers in Texas. I have found that many times I have to go to corporate, then the dealers seem to listen. I just had that happen with a Baby Lock dealer. I purchased the new ovation and she gave me the feet accessory Kit for the Evolution...it had 6 less feet than the kit for the new machine....it was Leftover from the prior year machine and it was at the store so rather than order the right one, she gave me what was convenient for her......I kept seeing where Ovation owners had 22 feet in their case. I called the dealer she said I didn't get the wrong feet....they fit my Ovation. I told her that it was the wrong set and one of these attachments does not fit my machine...and I had just gotten off the phone with BAbylock......they said I had the wrong set.....should have been 22 instead of 16 feet. She is now ordering the right one! Squeaky wheel I Guess.....BAbylock corporate is fantastic.....I purchased a Sashiko machine and ask the dealer for Some training or instruction .....she said I don't do training on this machine...I will show you how to thread it.....when a rep saw my post.they immediately sent me an apology, gave me three free online classes and sent me a book with projects !!!! Too bad dealers are not like they home office...fantastic!!

Last edited by Lady Diana; 06-27-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 AM

Genden, yes caregiving is hard,but you are so blessed for doing it. Good that you have something to do in your down time.Take care!!