Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to piece this flannel backing >

How to piece this flannel backing

How to piece this flannel backing

Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Default How to piece this flannel backing

I need just six more inches along the long side of the throw I'm making. The backing is a mottled yellow flannel that's only 44in wide. I have plenty but have never pieced a backing before. How should I do this. Would it look stupid to have just that 6x60 in piece running along the edge of the big (46x 60 ) piece? I'd like to use only flannel on the back, for comfort . This is a chemo quilt for a friend .
Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Piecing the back will be fine. After it is quilted the seam won't be noticeable. Since you have two lengths of fabric you could always cut the backing in equal size pieces with the seam in the middle and use the leftovers for another project. Or if you have enough fabric left over from the front (or even other flannel fabric) you could add a vertical row of blocks down the back that coordinate with the front which would give you the last 6" width you need. I often add some blocks to my backs for interest.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Are you suggesting putting the 6 inch wide flannel pieces down the center? I need two long pieces, actually, no matter where I put it.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

How about adding a strip down the center of the backing and appliqué her name on it. Of course that would only work if you didn't have to densely quilt over them as they might be thick. You could also add a row of blocks from the front down the back center.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 PM

Nice ideas, Tartan and Jeanne. I think the blocks would be pretty, but i don't know if it would be as cozy to the skin?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

It really depends on the look you want. You could certainly just add a 6" strip to the side of the backing; no one but you will probably ever notice it after it's quilted! You could also add it in the center, between strips on each side. This is more symmetrical, but again probably no one but you will ever notice it.

If you have a contrasting piece of flannel that would go well with the yellow, you could use that for the 6" strip (no matter where you place it). That creates more drama in the back and is more of a "modern" technique. In this case the strip would definitely be noticed, but that is because it becomes a design element!

It is up to you whether you want the strip to be unobtrusive (the same flannel either on the side or down the middle will achieve this) or whether you want to use this as an opportunity to introduce another design element into the quilt.

Edit: To clearly answer your intial question, it would NOT look stupid to piece the backing in the manner you describe!

Edit2: When using flannel for a backing, it's a good idea to make your seams 1/2" (or more) wide and press them open before layering.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-25-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 PM

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my first response. One of my thoughts was that you don't have to do a 44"/6" ratio (50" width total) on the back. Since you have to piece it anyway, you could do two 25" pieces with the seam in the center. Or any combination to get your 50" total width. You are right in that flannel will feel softer and warmer against the skin than regular quilting cotton. So if you want to use all flannel on the back, you can either use all one type (pieced) or mix and match flannels for a more artistic back. Your recipient will love and appreciate whatever you do!! ;o)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It really depends on the look you want. You could certainly just add a 6" strip to the side of the backing; no one but you will probably ever notice it after it's quilted! You could also add it in the center, between strips on each side. This is more symmetrical, but again probably no one but you will ever notice it.

If you have a contrasting piece of flannel that would go well with the yellow, you could use that for the 6" strip (no matter where you place it). That creates more drama in the back and is more of a "modern" technique. In this case the strip would definitely be noticed, but that is because it becomes a design element!

It is up to you whether you want the strip to be unobtrusive (the same flannel either on the side or down the middle will achieve this) or whether you want to use this as an opportunity to introduce another design element into the quilt.

Edit: To clearly answer your intial question, it would NOT look stupid to piece the backing in the manner you describe!

Edit2: When using flannel for a backing, it's a good idea to make your seams 1/2" (or more) wide and press them open before layering.
Thanks for the heads up about the 1/2 inch seam! Caught my attention just in time? I had sewn 1/4 inch but have time to change that.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM

I don't have enough of another flannel in coordinated colors. I like the idea of a pieced design element on the back of some quilts, but for this I just want a soft, smooth as-seamless-as-possible all over backing. I'm also going to piece the extra section along the side so that no seams are near her port ( she can tuck the seamed side behind her on her "good" side when she's sitting up. I am going to suggest that her friends and family can sign their names on the flannel side, which will be closest to her heart.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM

I can't believe I didn't think of the symmetrical look . Duh. I'm tired. But i read your idea in time and am now sewing it on symmetrically. Thanks . (Still smh)

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my first response. One of my thoughts was that you don't have to do a 44"/6" ratio (50" width total) on the back. Since you have to piece it anyway, you could do two 25" pieces with the seam in the center. Or any combination to get your 50" total width. You are right in that flannel will feel softer and warmer against the skin than regular quilting cotton. So if you want to use all flannel on the back, you can either use all one type (pieced) or mix and match flannels for a more artistic back. Your recipient will love and appreciate whatever you do!! ;o)