Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how is this posted on google when I posted here >

how is this posted on google when I posted here

how is this posted on google when I posted here

Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM

I posted my find at goodwill and went on a google search to find info about the machine and found my post on the second page? Are our post here not secure? Guess this is a question for the moderator? Don't like that Google gets the info...not tech minded but really don't like this...what other info might they have. Moderator please respond. Don't know if this is the right place to post or not.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Anything you post on here is public info yes the quilting board site will come up in a search on the internet, Choose any topic and google it, it is there. I do think PM's here are the only private thing.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 PM

This board is part of the world wide web (WWW). Anything that is posted on the WWW could show up on any search engine (google, yahoo, bing, etc).

I'm not a moderator but I can tell you nothing is "unsearchable" on the WWW.

This being the biggest quilting board on the WWW, it makes sense that your post would show up online.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM

Not a moderator... but, everyone should realize that this is not a private forum. Nothing on the internet is. Google is going to pick up on key words in the topics we post, and honestly, its kind of interesting to be able to find posts here that way. People should never post anything on the internet anywhere that they consider "private". That and how many thousands of people are members of this board anyway. I dont mean to sound cold or rude, but if you are concerned with your posts being private, you shouldnt post any topics and stick with PM's.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

No not secure unless it is PM. This is how I actually found the QB. I was doing a google search for the Star Spin pattern and a discussion topic on this sight discussing that pattern came up as the first or second hit!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM

no, not private, I also found a post I did, so thats when I changed my avatar from my picture to the current one I have, didn't want my pic all over the net. So, be careful with info that you don't want all over the net. Do not give your email or address especially!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

This is not a private forum, that's why you should not post pictures of yourself, kids or your address either email or snail mail!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM

"Googling" is how I found this board. I typed a "how to" question in the search box and came up with an answer from a member of this board. I immediately checked out the site and joined up. I've been addicted to the Quilting Board ever since. I'm self-taught and I've learned more in the 2 months I've this board than I'd tried to learn by books for several years. So I'm glad people can find the board by "Googling".
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Melrose V
This board is part of the world wide web (WWW). Anything that is posted on the WWW could show up on any search engine (google, yahoo, bing, etc).
All site operators get to choose whether to allow the information on their site to be included or excluded in Google search results. It is not an automatic thing.

http://www.google.com/addurl/

The QB is not the type of site I would expect to be excluded. I don't know if it's always been like this or if it was a recent change.

I actually find it very handy that it's searchable in Google. The Google search engine is much better at finding specific information on this board than the search function at the top of the page. ;-) ;-)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM

DOES THE POST ON GOOGLE SHOW YOUR ACTUAL NAME AND INFORMATION, OR ONLY YOUR USER NAME