Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to put leader cloths on LA >

How to put leader cloths on LA

How to put leader cloths on LA

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Can someone give me a website that has pictures or a video that shows how to put leader cloths on my frame? I am so scared to do it. I had a friend come over and show me how to prepped them but then she left saying she didn't want to responsibility of ruining them if we didn't get them on right. I don't care about messing them up. I'll just invest and buy another set. Help!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM

put them on with velcro.

put the hard side of the velcro on the pole and the soft side of the velcro on the leader.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
put them on with velcro.

put the hard side of the velcro on the pole and the soft side of the velcro on the leader.
That's what I did. Worked great. I got the industrial velcro from a home improvement store.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM

I would put a link but can't figure out how to do it from the iPad. There are several good ones on YouTube. Also some good ones on loading the quilt.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks so much. I forget about looking at Youtube. My frame came with the little tubes and I can't get the leader cloth & tubes in them. I will look on youTube. Thanks so much for you guys input! It is appreciated.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
put them on with velcro.

this is the way i've done mine
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 AM

On mine, I drew a straight line down the length of the bar with a sharpie. This gave me a line to follow when I put the hard part of the velcro on it.

Add the soft part of the velcro to the cloth leader. I centered this so I put it on in two pieces, each going from the center to the edge.

Once you have the velcro in place, you simply put the leader on the rod by aligning the center and going out to the edges.

I hope this helps you. It goes together pretty easily.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyB
On mine, I drew a straight line down the length of the bar with a sharpie. This gave me a line to follow when I put the hard part of the velcro on it.
The previous post said to put the hard piece on the leader and soft on the pole. That is definitely better! I did mine the opposite and the hard stuff gets stuck to the batting as I am putting them on the poles. I wish I would have done it the other way.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Does the sticky velcro stick to the fabric?
I had read that you use the sew on kind for the fabric end and the sticky one for the rods.
A good tip also is to sew your quilt onto the leader with water soluble thread.
Have not done either yet.
My table has the groove with the tube insett. This dosnt take up valuable space on rod that is inside the throat. I made a pocket on muslin and sliped the tube thru it and then into the groove. But this is the only leader Im going to do this way, velcro for the rest. I sliped with the roller tool and almost tore off my thumb nail.
For my practice fmq I am using fusible spray and so far it is working very well and dont need any leaders except on the backing.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM

I used the sticky velcro on the fabric but sewed it down for permanence. What a good idea for the water soluable thread! I always pin mine to the leaders but your way would be so quick!