Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to quilt a busy pattern

How to quilt a busy pattern

If you have a queen quilt and the pattern is really busy how would you quilt it? Busy, I mean, one block maybe all flying geese, next block, lots of HST, etc. All different blocks, all different sizes. Would you do a freehand puzzle look?

When I have a quilt that has lots of different blocks, I like to quilt each one individually with a quilting design that enhances that particular block. Did the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt, 100+ blocks and did QAYG. I had fun with each block.
    I pray for peace today and hope I don't have to tomorrow.

When I was accused of living in a fantasy world I almost fell off my unicorn.

Blog Entries
    You could always do echo quilting to bring out the different piecing in each block. Otherwise, I would choose an edge-to-edge pattern (such as the puzzle-look you mentioned) done with free motion quilting technique. Either way, you can't lose!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Hi, doodldoo. Yesterday I was on my work computer (don't tell my boss) and couldn't find the link for the FWS quilts. If you search The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt Top and go to page 4 and page 21 there are two examples of the blocks being individually quilted. Thought this might give you some ideas.
    I pray for peace today and hope I don't have to tomorrow.

When I was accused of living in a fantasy world I almost fell off my unicorn.

Thanks. Going to check that site out.

Blog Entries
    I think anything that doesn't detract from the block itself works fine. The lady that quilts for me now does something different for each block when it's a sampler quilt.
    Joyce

IMHO Less is better. I prefer seeing the fabric and the quilt pattern rather then a lot of quilting. I probably would do a lot of SID making sure that I am within the suggested quiltiing quide recommended by the batting manufacturer. It depends on how much quilting you like. Do you like a lot or not so much. On a busy print top I did meandering just enought to be with in there suggested quide lines. Show us a pic!!!

On busy tops, what color thread do you use? I've read some that use blendy colors, some say contrasting colors. What do you use?

I think we need to see a pic to answer you. LOL

I have done shadow quilting around each block, and an all over meander. Both turned out nice. I have seen some that had a clam shell or babtist fan quilting that also looked nice. You might get some tissue paper or thin plastic and draw out a couple of ideas using a thin sharpie and then lay it over the quilt to see if you like it. Rubbing alcohol will take sharpie off of plastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast