Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt this >

How to quilt this

How to quilt this

Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Default How to quilt this

My friend would like me to finish a quilt she just inherited. Her aunt had started to hand quilt her last quilt. There is a big star in the center quilted. Can I put it on my frame starting in the center and quilt to the right edge, then re-roll the quilt to center and quilt to the left edge. Is there a better way, my friend wants to keep the
hand quilting in tack. I think it would be easier to not have the hand quilting, but I understand her wanting to keep it as is, I know I would. Any ideas on how to proceed.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Not sure whether you are talking about adding long arming to a hand quilted top.

I can only say that a couple of years ago I had a friend with a top made of candlewicked blocks, which another friend of hers had made. I saw it and was determined that lovely quilt with all that handwork did not 'deserve+' to be machine finished. So I took on the job of handquilting it, even thought I didn't know the gal who had made it. She was astonished and thrilled with her finished quilt and ended up paying me $300 for the gift of hand quilting it for her!

Jan in VA
Old 08-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Wish you had posted a photo!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 PM

Yes Jan,
I will use a pantograph , I can do feathers, leaves and bad mendering.LOL. I personnelly would love it to be handquilted, to be honest that will never happen. I haven't seen it yet but my friend says it's almost like the Hunter's Star, anyway the center star is about 2 1/2 feet square.