Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt this??? >

How to quilt this???

How to quilt this???

Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Quilt lady, oh I feel you on the feathers issue. I have been FMQing on my home machine and I cannot get feathers. An all over quilt pattern would look good. You could echo the shapes of the stars first. I have had luck with that, though it could be because I am getting good at accurate angles in FMQing, but curves defeat me.
It is rather crude, but I have referred to some of my worst feather attempts as ....well, let's call it hot dogs and testicles, no two alike. I have been using scraps to make 2 foot by 2 foot quilts to practice curves and feathers, so far they are dog beds.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I will be quilting this on my DSM but it does have an 11 inch throat space so that helps... I am really not good with feathers I have tried to do them on a sample piece of fabric but they just don't come out looking like a feather, I really need to practice more before I try them on a quilt. For some reason I can't get my mind around then , when I try making then they come out looking bad.. I can see where feathers would look so good in each part of the star but I think it will have to wait till some other time and quilt..So I am back to a all over design..Thanks for you advice..I'll practice more..

I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful. I just learned to do feathers myself a few months ago. My first attempts were a bit of a mess. The biggest issue for me was practicing drawing the feathers on paper. That not only helped build visual memory, but it also helped me get a better drawing on my quilt with the Ultra Clean markers so I could follow along. Any time I had a couple minutes of downtime at work, I was practicing drawing those feathers. I'll see if I can get a photo posted of the Irish Chain quilt I did with a feathered wreath later. Having issues with reducing size of photos at the moment, but I've received lots of compliments on them even though they're not as even as I'd like. I took an online class with Green Fairy Quilter (Judi Madsen) at https://www.iquilt.com/course/quilti...-a-difference/

It made a huge difference in my ability to draw & quilt feathers. I can't do the super fancy wavy feathers that she does ... yet. But am getting pretty decent at doing basic feathers. You get 20% off the class if you're an AQS member & an additional 40% off through 2/3/16 with the code IQFUN.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I just recently finished a Hunters Star. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t275055.html. I did an allover meander and did a flower loop in each of the star "petals". Went very quick and easy.
Oh I love your hunter star quilt and I love the way you quilted the borders with loops and leave, very nice..you did a wonderful job..
Old 02-02-2016, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laurajbr View Post
Quilt lady, oh I feel you on the feathers issue. I have been FMQing on my home machine and I cannot get feathers. An all over quilt pattern would look good. You could echo the shapes of the stars first. I have had luck with that, though it could be because I am getting good at accurate angles in FMQing, but curves defeat me.
It is rather crude, but I have referred to some of my worst feather attempts as ....well, let's call it hot dogs and testicles, no two alike. I have been using scraps to make 2 foot by 2 foot quilts to practice curves and feathers, so far they are dog beds.
Laurajbr you are so funny, I'm glad that I am not the only one that has so much trouble with quilting a feather, mine look pretty bad, as I said I just can't get my mind around making them, I keep practicing and one day I may get it so they look good..Thanks you gave me a good laugh..
Old 02-03-2016, 09:56 AM

What a gorgous quilt! Love the colors. I think your quilting idea would look nice
Old 02-03-2016, 11:28 AM

That is one gorgeous quilt!! I think your all over loops would look fine. Post a pic when you finish, OK.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Looking good! Whatever pattern(s) you decide on will be great!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 AM

Hope this helps...I also had trouble making FMQ feathers for the longest time until I took a class from Judy Woodworth quite a few years ago. She showed me how I could pretend I was sewing part ways around a coin before returning to the spine for the next feather. That was a real breakthrough moment!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 AM

Your quilt is beautiful... I would do an all over design if that's what you feel most comfortable with. There are so many tutorials on Youtube for different designs but, if you're like me, you would have to practice them before putting the needle to your pretty project.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 AM

My suggestion for you would be to do the continuous curves inside the stars, as mentioned in an earlier post, then do your meandering in the remaining area. It would be the best of both worlds and let you get your feet wet with the custom quilting. You could either use the stars or hearts, or both in your meandering! It's your quilt!