Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt this??? >

How to quilt this???

How to quilt this???

Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 AM

I would outline the stars and then shadow stitch within the stars. The rest of the quilt I would doing a wandering stitch. I took a class in long arm quilting and the best idea I got was to buy a piece of tempered glass and put tape around the edges. Use a felt tip marker and trace the feather pattern and then wipe it off. Do this over and over until you have the motions almost memorized and your hands are comfortable doing this pattern. It works with any pattern and it has helped me tremendously.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 AM

Your quilt is beautiful!!!! I have no quilting advice except to do something you are comfortable with.

Dina
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM

I am not good at quilting so will not give advice..Only a comment - Beautiful quilt!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 AM

It's a beautiful quilt! I would outline your stars and squares and do long stripes in the border. I am sure whatever you do it will look lovely!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM

Because you sound like you are relatively new to FMQ I would quilt (I like to do) small-medium stippling (not mini-not meandering) in the background. This is easy to do on a large quilt. I would either stitch in the ditch or stitch 1/4" inside the stars or both. This would be easy to do on your DSM, especially if you have a 1/4" foot. It will also give you better control of your quilting and prepare you for more difficult designs.

Another tip about quilting nice feathers....when you first start quilting feathers, draw them on your quilt with a water soluble marker before you quilt them. You will be surprised at how well they come out. With experience you can quilt the feathers without marking them first.

Ellen

Last edited by Ellen 1; 02-04-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM

I like the look of overall quilting and think it would be great for this quilt. Nice quilt!