Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to remove blue prestamped marking that have been ironed over >

How to remove blue prestamped marking that have been ironed over

How to remove blue prestamped marking that have been ironed over

Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 AM

Question How to remove blue prestamped marking that have been ironed over

A friend gave be a beautiful cross stitch quilt it was pre-stamped and she ironed over them
when sewing the blocks together. I am quilting it with a stipple but don't think I can get
the blue lines out. I thought about using a double thread in a color and quilt over the lines
do you think this would work. Any other ideas would be nice.
Mary L Booth
Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

On some pre stamped tops, the markings are permanent even if you didn't iron over them. It would be best to ask her what she would like you to do.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Those stamped embroidery blocks are generally permanent. The embroidery is believed will cover the lines. I would ask your friend if she wants you to try to cover the lines, but I'm a little confused. Would you be going over the embroidery? I would not do that. Maybe a picture would show us the issue so we could make suggestions
Old 11-06-2016, 07:51 AM

I'm guessing that your friend has completed the embroidery and you are quilting it. I have quilted several premarked embroidery tops by quilting with white or off white thread, matching the background and quilting on the premarked lines. The quilts come out beautiful and the markings are very hard if not impossible to see after quilting.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Any of those that I've done in the past the blue stamping has come out in the wash with no issue. But I've not heat set them when doing the stitching. But I do generally wash in warm water and then toss in the dryer and I can't remember any that have not washed out. FWIW.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 AM

I think that she is talking about the "stamped quilting lines/designs" - they are also stamped on the squares - lines for the hand quilter to quilt to enhance the embroidered design. My dear Aunt Mary embroidered a set of squares and set them together for the most beautiful, dainty quilt and I have the privilege of owning it and it has been on my bed ever since she passed away in 1999. I have washed it umpteen times, dried it in the sun on the clothesline, etc. and the blue quilting lines are still there. It was hand quilted on these lines - dots actually and the blue dots are still there. The newer stamped quilt blocks are done in turquoise stamping - so don't know how they wash out or not.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Those stamped embroidery blocks are generally permanent. The embroidery is believed will cover the lines. I would ask your friend if she wants you to try to cover the lines, but I'm a little confused. Would you be going over the embroidery? I would not do that. Maybe a picture would show us the issue so we could make suggestions
Old 11-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

he, he. long ago i bought some blue marked quilt design squares. then washed them!! nothing left. i complained to store and they replaced them. sd not permanent and will wash out after stitching done. well it didn't say that! my blond moment and I took advantage of it.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 AM

I actually did not one but two embroidered twin size quilts kits from Herschners back in the day. Blue marks still there thirty-plus years later. I see them, but most people don't: I think they're just overwhelmed by the amount of hand embroidery!!! If you've ironed, good luck. I think the heat sets the ink.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:37 AM

I have made about 5 embroidered pre-stamped whole cloth kits and could never get rid of the blue markings. They were light blue and not too noticeable. I loved doing the cross stitch embroidery.

Last edited by ptquilts; 11-07-2016 at 05:39 AM.